It Is The Coaching Staff That Lacks Leadership

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I think we all saw it when this staff was put together. First time head coach with no coordinator experience with weak coordinators and inexperienced position assitants. Not a good mix for success. Perhaps on a different staff, with better support these guys could be more successful. On this staff though they have failed. Consider the following:
    • Mike Munchak: Hall of fame players have never been successful head coaches. Has never coached on another team, never been a coordinator and never coached under a head coach other than the guy he replaced.
    • Chris Palmer: Was a hot name 12 years ago. Game has probably passed him by. Has trouble even landing position coaching jobs. Probably better suited to being a QB coach at this point.
    • Jerry Gray: When Munch hired him he was about to become the DB coach at Texas. So we hired a college position coach as our DC. Has only ever been a DC once, in Buffalo, where Greg Williams held his hand. Munch is not able to offer as much help.
    Some green assistants who could be good if they had a stronger head coach or coordinator helping them:
    • Tracy Rocker: Excellent college coach with a top program but no pro coaching experience.
    • Bruce Matthews: Amazing hall of fame player who could end up being a great position coach were his buddy Munch able to focus on metoring him. With weak coordinators I am not sure how much time Munch has for that.
    • Dave Ragone: Appears to have done a pretty good job all things considered. Last year Nate Washington had a career year and Lavelle Hawkins finnally started showing something. Daminian Williams continues to be solid and Kendell Wright has produced well for a rookie coming from a spread offence. Looks like he could have a bright future.
    Would be interesting to see what these guys could do if surrounded by more talent...... Coaching talent that is. Maybe Munch can turn it around with some major staff changes in the offseason. Something needs to happen though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

How did I miss this thread? Anyways, yes, this staff does lack leadership.

We did just obliterate the Dolphins though, so hopefully that's given them some reassurance that what they're doing can work.

And I think we have enough talent to compete, we simply need for all our players and coaches to be on the same page.

3. amy

amy Starter

Like the rest of us, sometimes it takes more than a couple of tries before we get something right. Munchak has coached one and a half seasons. He had no experience. He had to hire who he hired because there were no others any better that he could get. So if you have poor coordinators and you haven't had the experience, then of course there is a big chance that you're going to have difficulty. Coach can't be coach, OC and DC at the same time. The team is young, and likely a tad dumb also, hence the long time learning a new system. Omitting the Chicago game, I think they have improved since the first game. You also have to realize that the players are also not used to the coaches. We want instant glory but with new staff, new systems, slow learners, and a tough schedule, I don't think that is realistic. I think one more season at least with maybe some different coordinators and then you can throw Coach under the bus if he doesn't meet with your high standards.jmo

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Uh... did you just give Bruce Matthews coaching credit?

1. Texans OL got better once he left.
    2. Ours got worse once he arrived.
    3. No.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Amy couldn't have said it any better.

If this staff makes playoffs how wrong would you be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar