It's Time for the Titans to Get Things Settled With McNair the Right Way

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Titans are still in the drivers seat because even if they were forced to keep McNair at his current deal they could (which means an unlikely injury isn't the end of the world). Thats why they can call McNair/Cook's and the Raven's bluff, open the doors for McNair to come back and continue to work on negotiations. If the Ravens really want Mac they need to come up with a draft pick. The Titans don't have to be pressured into a one week negotiation.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Of course not. It all boils down to how much of a "risk" the Titans are willing to take.

In early April, it was apparently enough to lock him out.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yea but they had nothing to lose buy doing the lockout either. If they had known they couldn't legally lock Mac out in April I doubt they would have released him in April. They might have traded him sooner but no way they panic and release him to keep him away from the facility.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I think it is more saving face if the Titans wish.

They said they locked McNair out because they were afraid that he was going to get injured and they did not want to risk the cap impact.

Now McNair is able to return. The "risk of injury" is still there. So to go along w/ what the Titans have professed as there main reason for not wanting him to practice, the risk of injury, they either need to settle it before or right around when he comes in, release him or trade him.

Now we all know that is lode of BS and that there is allot more to it but if they want to go by what the Titans have been telling the media they should do it in the first weekish or obviously they were not all that concerned about him getting injured and this was just a strong arm policy to force McNair into a new contract.

5. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

This is just my thoughts running wild, if FR cut a vet tomorrow (not Mcnair) would the ravens rethink their position of being in the catbirds seat?

6. TitanJeff

Nothing to lose? It wasn't so much the lockout itself as how it was handled which was a direct result of the lockout. I think it ended any hope McNair might accept a lesser offer if there ever was one. I also think it made the franchise look like a classless organization. I expect the move will haunt the team anytime they want a player to "suck it up" and play hurt, asks a player to take a pay cut or get a free agent when that player can get the same offer elsewhere.

"We have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem."

I doubt they would have released him either but after drafting Young, their position may have changed now that they have.

That "risk management problem" hasn't gone anywhere.

7. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

''They talk about that,'' McNair said. ''Me personally, (I) don't get into negotiations, don't get into the process of where I'm going to go and where I'm not. I let Bus handle that. I'm laidback and just waiting on Bus to call me and tell me what's my next step.''

Taken from titansradio.com here's the link http://www.titansradio.com/cgi-bin/blurb_view.cgi?blurb=news657630

Mcnair makes it plain. His agent is making ALL of the descisions.

8. TitanJeff

This isn't just for Sox but I would like other opinions.

I just don't follow the logic as to why some think dragging this thing out to late-July or August will somehow get the Ravens to pony up a higher draft pick.

Let me ask first who thinks McNair is will rework his deal with the Titans at this point?

I don't think that if the Titans put the same deal on the table as the Ravens offered if he'd sign because there is more potential to play beyond '06 in Baltimore than here. I think it'll take even more money. I think the chances he reworks is now very low.

Reese said at one time he'd keep McNair and his $10 mil but has since said the team would not. Keeping him at his current number just won't happen.

So with a new deal and playing out his current one out the window, that leaves only trade or release.

Now, the second question. Is it more or less likely that the Ravens will give up a pick now or in late-July or August? If the Titans are not going to sign him to a new deal and he won't be allowed to play out under his current one, why the heck would the Ravens give up MORE closer to the time McNair is the MOST likely to be released?

The only reason the Ravens would give up anything would be to get him to camp sooner and keep the Titans from trading him to another team even if one was out there who want him.

It also appears idiotic to me the Titans would risk the following in the process:

1. Accept the injury liability from workouts, OTAs and possibly into Training Camp.
    2. Be forced to cut quality vets by keeping McNair so the team can sign the rookies.
    3. Take the Titans out of any possibility to sign free agents and fill holes. The money saved by releasing McNair doesn't have as many opportunities in August as it would in June and July.
    4. Disrupt the team with McNair attending OTAs and possibly Training Camp. Can you imagine the circus if this thing isn't settled before Training Camp?

So someone explain to me what incentive the Ravens have to give up a HIGHER pick in late-July or August because I don't see it. If anything, his value declines the longer the trade is left on the table.

The only long shot that makes sense is that Reese hopes that the Ravens interest will die as they look at other options leaving a bare market and McNair little choice but to sign a deal with the Titans.

9. TitanJeff

You're being sarcastic, right? ;)

10. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

The incentive would be if FR isn't playing around when he says we are willing to keep Mac. The Ravens have to hope that Mac wants out. If he does, then anything the Titans offer will not be enough.

Lots of people say FR is holding the cards, but I disagree. It's clear Mac is holding the cards. Will he redo his contract or will he force FR's hand. The question is does Mac really want to stay? If he does something will be worked out. If not he will have to be traded or released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar