Jake Delhomme, Donovan McNabb, John Kitna, etc...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It may have already been posted but this is Collins' ranking this season:

Passing yards - 24th
    Completion % - 26th
    Avg. per reception - 24th
    TDs - 24th
    INTs - 5th lowest
    Passer rating - 23rd

So Collins is in the lower third of QBs in the league in every category except INTs where he ranks among the best. But look at Collins' career and the 8 turnovers this season is not the norm. In seasons where he's started 13+ games (7 seasons), he has averaged 21 turnovers in each.

Is he better than Young right now? Sure. But do we honestly think the Titans would guarantee him a starting job if there are better options out there?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

collins still sucks, as does jon kitna.

all i'm saying is i would rather have the guy who has been in the offense and worked with his WRs/TEs/RBs for the last three years.

i don't see how kitna over collins is an obvious upgrade or vice versa.

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Charlie Batch
    Kyle Boller
    Brooks Bollinger
    Todd Bouman
    David Carr
    Matt Cassel
    Kerry Collins
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Charlie Frye
    Jeff Garcia
    Rex Grossman
    Gibran Hamdan
    Joey Harrington
    Drew Henson
    Byron Leftwich
    J.P. Losman
    Jamie Martin
    Luke McCown
    Craig Nall
    J.T. O’Sullivan
    Dan Orlovsky
    Patrick Ramsey
    Chris Simms
    Brian St. Pierre
    Marques Tuiasosopo
    Kurt Warner
    Anthony Wright

Of this list of QB's that are going to be out there next year, i rather stick with Collins. IMO,Collins didnt do anything to lose his job if in fact the decision is going to be between him or VY.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

It's been 5 years since Kitna had a season where he threw more TDs than INTs.

His last full season as a starter, he threw for 18 TDs, 20 INTs, fumbled 17 times and was sacked 51 times.

He threw for a lot of yards in his 2 seasons in Mike Martz's offense (who doesn't), but outside of those 2 years, you have to go back 6 seasons to find a year in which he saw any significant playing time.

Kerry Collins is not the long term answer at QB. I'd be amazed if anyone thought that. If we keep Collins around, then I'd expect us to draft a QB high and groom him behind Collins and be done with Vince and hope that we can squeeze one more good season out of Collins.

If we are looking for a stop-gap QB for another season to make a run, then I'd 100% take Collins over Kitna. I'd have absolutely no confidence in Kitna playing mistake-free football consistently for us.

If we are looking for someone to truly compete with Vince for the job and potentially be our long-term starter, then you have to look outside of any of these guys.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

IF Collins decided to retire and we needed to sign one of those guys, based on money I think Byron Leftwich would be the best guy for a small amount, yes even if Kitna was there I would take Leftwich over him.

6. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Agree, but Leftwich is all about the Bears,i dont know if you heard that latest news about that.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/12/leftwich-interested-in-bears/

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

if we had leftwich as a starter we'd see vince in about five weeks. leftwich has all the tools but he just can't stay healthy.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Charlie Batch
    Jeff Garcia
    Byron Leftwich
    Kurt Warner

I'd take Garcia to start.

Think Warner would really struggle in TN unless we bring in at least 1 WR. But if we lost Collins, signed Warner and Housh... ok I'm :guzzle:.

Would like Batch or Leftwich as competition with VY to start the season if Collins retires or is signed elsewhere.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

January 10, 2009

Titans 391 yards - Ravens 211 yards
    Titans (21) 1st downs - Ravens (9) 1st downs
    Titans 112 return yards - Ravens 47
    Titans Time of Poss 34:07 - Ravens 25:53
    Titans Turnovers 3 - Ravens 0

Protecting the ball is important - so much in fact it absolutely trumps every other statistic in a game as we saw Saturday. Part of me is defending Kerry's season because of the lack of turnovers which allowed our defense to win games, but I'm not saying we can't upgrade the position because we can.

And Tennessee just became an attractive place for a free agent QB with our O-line + CJ. Someone like McNabb could absolutely dominate on a team like the Titans. He is a perfect fit imo.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I completely agree. In Fisher's offense, Collins is a good fit. However, I'm not completely sure this season was the exception as far as turnovers based on his history.

His stats this season combined with his average career turnovers is Vince Young last season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar