Jake Locker learned from big hit vs. Texans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Quarterback Jake Locker learned a valuable lesson in his first game against the Texans this season, when he made the mistake of letting a blitzing Glover Quin hit him full speed.

Locker never saw the unblocked safety coming off the edge. The hit dislocated the second-year pro’s left (non-throwing) shoulder for the second time, sidelining him for five games.

“We’ll just make sure we’ve got the protections going that we need to, for sure,” Locker said.

Coach Mike Munchak said Locker has matured as a quarterback since that Sept. 30 game.

“When something happens like that, he’d better learn from it, because you are not going to take hits like that, giving (the defense) a free shot,” Munchak said. “That same thing has happened now three times since he has (returned to the lineup) and the ball has been out, and the guy hasn’t gotten within three yards of him as a free rusher. I think he learned quite a bit from that.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: AFC South, League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

I hope our offensive line learned something.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That play was totally on Locker or Cook. Either Cook has to chip/block that guy or Locker has to make the read and hit Cook with a quick pass.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm still saying it was Lockers own fault for getting hit like that. He had something similar happen vs the Saints last year.

It's on him to know where his blockers are. The O-Line has their back to him, but he can see where they are.

5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yea... He's owned that. Munch said it was on him... And also said similar situations have been positive for him and his development. I don't see how this is even an argument.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

The only reason this is an issue is because Locker got hurt on that play. I have seen many QBs make the same mistake and get jacked up. It happens sometimes. It sucks that Locker got injured, but hey, he will probably never make the same mistake again.

Thats how people learn the best. If you make a mistake and have to pay for it, chances are you will never make that mistake again. And isn't that what we really need Locker to be doing right now anyway, getting the mistakes out now so he won't make them in the future?

7. Arcane

Arcane One Day...

The same thing happened when he got sacked last week vs. the Jags. I was surprised he didn't fumble the ball.

Looks like he hasn't learned a thing from the Texans sack.

8. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

That play can not be blamed on one person. I highly doubt that we intended for a blitzing safety to be untouched on that play. That means someone failed right off the bat. Probably Cook. Locker has to see that coming. Locker cannot allow himself to be crushed like that. Fortunately he's very well equipped with the skills that can prevent it.

9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

LOL. Only thing he learned is "my shoulder don't bend that way"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar