Jake Locker led the NFL last season......................

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Kaeotik, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Bad Decision Rate (BDR) is a metric from KC Joyner, the Football Scientist, that was recently featured prominently in ESPN The Magazine’s NFL preview issue.

Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker had the lowest bad decision rate in the league in 2012 -- 0.6 percent.
    [​IMG]
    Locker
    BDR is the rate at which a quarterback makes a mental error that leads to a turnover opportunity for the D.

There is certainly some subjectivity in judging a mental error.

“But there are objective elements in place to reduce the subjectivity,” Joyner said. “Examples of mental errors include not seeing defenders in the passing lane, and throwing the ball while being tackled.”

How significant was Locker’s number last year?

“It's significant in that it is quite rare to see a quarterback post a BDR of less than one percent,” Joyner said. “Tom Brady is the only passer to reach that level on a consistent basis, so it would be quite surprising to see Locker stay at that level but even if he triples his BDR, it would still be below the 2 percent mark that serves as the bar for superior play in this metric.”

So what does Joyner project for Locker this year?

“I have him projected as posting a 0.8 percent BDR this year,” Joyner said. “That is based on his 2012 performance as well as his 2013 schedule, which is the most favorable in the league based on a defensive BDR perspective.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/377/jake-locker-and-bad-decision-rate

2. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

and im 10000 percent sure ive seen many a posters knock locker for bad decision making

suck it haters......yet again

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

4. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

What is this?

5. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

Oh I remember. The pick 6 right. Apparently we should be real happy with how often he makes bad decisions though.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think, from what I've seen of Jake Locker... and what I'm seeing here, we can conclude that this BDR study is inaccurate and a terrible indicator of bad decision making.

His inability to read a blitz isn't considered bad decision making, I guess.

7. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

A horrible pick-six that Locker threw on our own goal-line while leading by 6. I'm not saying Locker has been a bad decision maker, but he's made his fair share of bad decisions.

8. Kaeotik

Kaeotik Pro Bowler

The fact that Tom Brady is the only guy to consistently stay under 1% suggests something else entirely though. I mean, I guess we all know Tyler Palko should be #1, but Tom Brady is pretty good.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Tyler Palko can't be judged by any rating system of this planet, though.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Didn't he lose some fumbles scrambling too?

That = bad decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar