Rumor Jalen Ramsey the Favorite?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Playmaker, Mar 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

But those aren't the only choices...which is the point.

What if we signed Mitchell Schwartz at RT in FA and then moved up for Ramsey? What if we sign Schwartz in FA and don't move up and take Eli Apple ()assuming the Giants took Conklin) and then had another 2nd round pick to spend on whatever we wanted...like ANOTHER starting caliber CB! You get the idea.

I like Conklin and think he's a perfect fit for this team and has had a great rookie season. But putting some bandaids on some other problems and using all that draft capital on Conklin was costly.

To some extent I don't blame JRob as he really needed a season to really see these players and evaluate them. Now he knows. Now we'll see what he does!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Hindsight conversations are awful for starters BUT, were those scenarios actually available?
    I think from the get go the idea was to trade out of that pick. I don't think the Jags or SD or NYG felt the need to move up 1/2 spots to take the players they felt would be available at their pick.

I don't know how Schwartz performed is year, but I do know how much Conklin did. The guy is a stud on a rookie contract (regardless that its first round) so we have both a future with him and reasonable pay until his next payday.

IF we took Ramsey, A) we would try to assume the exact same production in Tennessee as he just got in Jax. B) What would the OL look like/how many additional sacks would Mariota have taken?

I think if we had taken Ramsey, we would still be having this argument but about how lackluster the Offense was because the OL still needs improved.

Last, I know Dodd, Johnson and Henry weren't Pro Bowlers by any means, but they still have time to prove their value as a second round pick.

3. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Ifedi has been awful from what I've seen. Also hes playing guard now

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Should have brought in Mitchell Schwartz from Cleveland as a FA. Instead we used a premium selection on a RT like a bunch of suckers.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ifedi is just an example. Don't mistake the OL being a bunch of misfits for Ifedi being a solid player. He's had a learning curve due to the move to OG which we wouldn't have had since he played RT in college the last 2 seasons.

As I said before, we could have had an above avg RT for relative peanuts. But I think the point has been made.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Your argument makes a lot of assumptions. For example, you assume if we had taken Schwartz and Ramsey with our first pick that A, we wouldn't get the same production from the line (assuming a good NFL RT can't play as well or better than a rookie) and Ramsey might not be as good as he has been in Jacksonville. The reality is, you can only project. Could Schwartz be worse than Conklin? Yes. Be he also could be just as good or better. Same with Ramsey. Possible he plays worse, but also possible he plays as well or better given our pressure this year!

The point is to see the possibilities and how much we gave up for a very good RT and what it has cost us at other positions.

7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

As I said hindsight arguments are tough.
    You're assumptions are also there just the same. The added bonus with Conklin over Ramsey though is drafting Johnson, Henry and Byaard this year plus that #5 pick we're looking at.

We don't know what the cost would have been to trade back up to Jax's spot to take Ramsey and we have an idea of what it would have cost to stay put at #2 and taken Ramsey.

Given the option to re-do that exact move right now, I'd still have taken Conklin+ the additional draft picks. This is not a slight to Ramsey, but every year after the draft we can look back and say woulda, coulda, shoulda but as of right now, I don't see any reason to regret the moves that were made.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

This is such a fkn dumb thread.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The RT position is becoming just as important as the LT spot as the top defenses have excellent pass rushers on both sides of the ball. Also Conklin can play LT as well. So don't undervalue a great RT.

JRob had to fix the oline to give our young qb a chance. He did that and it showed great dividends. His plan was to fix the offense year #1 while trying to patch fix the defense as evidenced by the number of 1yr contracts that he signed on that side of the ball. This offseason you will see him really focus on the defense.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's done now. And Conklin looks like a stud. But I still HATE LOATHE DESPISE not having a 2nd round pick this year. Looks like good players will be around in the first half of the 2nd round.

Honestly, I'd be cool if we just took both 3rds and every other draft pick and traded up as high as we could get in the 2nd. I want 3 early draft picks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar