Jameis Winston Private Workout

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Aqutis30, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

TD:INT ratio is the laziest way to argue anything for or against a QB prospect.

I wanted to watch some Mariota yesterday and today to figure out why people think he's an elite prospect. I watched games against FSU, Washington, Arizona and Michigan State. In those games I counted six flat-out dropped INTs. Hit the DB in the hands with a reasonable expectation of making the catch and they don't.

Conversely, Jameis Winston had some incredibly unlucky INTs this year. Against UVA the ball is tipped 15 feet in the air by a lineman and falls in to Eli Harold's hands. A safety for UF makes a Willie Mays-type catch over his shoulder. He also made some bad decisions, but I don't think he was "18 interceptions" bad at all.

Also, Mariota fumbles at a much higher rate. 27 fumbles(11 lost) in 41 games. A rate of .65 per game. Winston has 13(4 lost) in 27. A rate of .48 per game.

#51 Fry, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You might as well add 5-6 interceptions to everyones TD:INT, DB's are DB's because they cant catch, and youre right, Winston did have some unlucky breaks in that area, but Id be willing to bet he continues throwing 12-16 INT's a year, the shots he takes are damn close, turning the ball over is going to be a part of his game the same way it is for Metts, Cutlers, or any other high volume passer

not a real concern for me considering all the other things he can do

3. 615nick

615nick Starter

Agreed, but i would rather you use a good qb as comparison, like favre.

4. Fry

Jay Cutler isn't a gunslinger. Jay Cutler just sucks.

5. JCBRAVE

Jay Cutler does suck, ultimate waste of talent, he's the worst kind of QB there is, he'll keep a franchise in suspense forever waiting for his issues to get resolved, problem is thats just who he is and will always screw your offense over

IDK how his coaches keep letting him QB those teams, has a full cast of excellent teammates to keep him from throwing games away, Chicago should look at the Cowboys model and have him on a snap count. Makes zero sense he's allowed to throw 33 times a game, Tony Romo revived his career when they limited him to just 20 attempts a game, and look how well that went, Dallas found their way back to the playoffs.

6. Fry

Because QBs don't grow on trees and chances are they'd end up worse, believe it or not.

But you're right, they need to put him on a pitch count unless the game is unmanageable.

7. RTH

RTH Meh...

Would've been funny if they provided crab legs for all during his workout.

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

Ive seen all I ever need to see of Cutler, would honestly rather burn up a year or two finding another QB, he'll never do anything special throwing 500 times a year, he's just not that guy to get that responsibility

Better chance Matt Forte does the tango backwards to the end zone every time than jay Cutler winning a Super Bowl

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. TitanAtl

TitanAtl Starter

He still threw the second highest amount of INT's of ANY QB in Division 1 last year. That is way more than just bad luck. It also isn't explained by the number of throws he made since he wasn't in the top 10 in attempts.

Mariota had less INT's in 3 years as Jameis had in 1.

As to the fumbles, Mariota runs the ball about 2 and a half times as much as Winston so if anything Winston fumbles more per attempt or per time he gets hit. Also in 2014 from the stats I could find they both fumbled the ball 7 times even though Mariota rushed 135 times to Winston rushing 57.

Mariota was essentially better in every statistical category in 2014 except they were tied in fumbles.

I'm not really sure I want either at pick number 2, but even ignoring how stupid Jameis is off the field Mariota is the better on the field objective choice looking at on the field results for 2014. It is also concerning that Jameis was trending in the wrong direction year over year as well while Mariota was getting better.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  10. J Falk

J Falk Starter

Lol. We shall see... I have a pretty good track record on here when it comes to evaluating talent...he's good, he's not as good as you all are making him out to be. He's definitely not good enough, especially considering the off the field stuff, to be the unanimous #1 pick. ..keep drinkING that nfl network cool aid.

And jc, since when did turning the ball over alot become a good thing? Lol. I didn't say it was all that matters, but for a guy who is supposed to be the best passer since luck (yeah right) he sure does throw to the other team alot. Since when did evaluating a player become so much more than looking at what's right in front of you. Yall think juat cuz he looks good and confident throwing the ball at a damN combine that he's going to be elite. he won some games in a DECENT conference and won a national championship against a team that wasnt even supposed to be there.

the titans arent dumb enough to draft That pos to be the face of the franchise. Some times talent outweighs the negatives....definitely not in this case. Just my opinion....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar