Jared Allen

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Soxcat, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

My point is that while the risk factor is low for a FA, so is the reward factor. In the draft you have a high risk, but also a high potential reward. And in this case I'd rather take the risk and hope for a better reward than what Allen brings (both if we go DE or some other position in the first).

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Propably worth a first..

Jason allen will turn 25 in a couple of weeks. If we can get him for a our first rd pick in lieu of a long term deal i say go for it. even for a first and a 7th. The more i think of it this is a proven player who still has 7-8 good years left. We could draft a guy like moss, sign him to a 4 year deal and then lose him. Allen can be here as long as any rookie.

He steps in and plays right away at a higher level than almost any rookie and certainly at a higher level than laboy or odom. Certainly higher than grant wistrom who is the latest board darling..

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

What do you mean so is the reward factor? I guess you could get the next Reggie White in the draft, after all there is a 1/1,000,000 chance of that. We could buy a lottery ticket to, high risk but high potential reward. The bottom line is we would be EXTREMELLY lucky to draft a DE with the #19 pick who would even be as good as Allen, EXTREMELLY lucky. And, the odds are MUCH better that we draft the DE version of Woolfolk than they are that we get a player better than Allen. Again, the hype over draft picks is nauseating.

I remember the Bears taking a guy names Michael Haynes with the #14 pick in 2003. Jerome McDougle went the very next pick after Haynes. There you have two first round picks, #14 and #15 in a draft who have amounted to nothing more than roster space. Totally worthless picks. Ty Warren was picked that year at #13 as a DE but Ty Warren is a perfect fit for the Pats 3-4 and would probably be a DT in our scheme. Anyway, thats 1 out of 3 and those were picks 13,14,15.

In 2004 the Vikings took Kenechi Udeze with the 20th pick. Of course most will remeber the Texans taking Babin with the 27th pick. Will Smith went #18 that year so I'm sure everyonw will say, "see, Smith is good". Smith was the first DE taken that year. What we know is the of the first 3 taken in 2004, all within 9 picks of each other, 2 of the 3 would be disappointments.

I could go on and on. Reality is simply this. Figure at best a 50/50 chance of even being to upgrade over Odom and LaBoy and more than likely, based on simply logic more like 30/70. By the way, saying the draft is loaded at DE doesn't make the odds any better. Just means we have to make sure we choose the right one, again, only a 33% chance.

Now with Allen we have a 100% chance of getting a player.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Just like the Eagles had a 100% chance of getting a player in Jevon Kearse?

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Kearse a bust now?

He did have a couple of decent years with the eagles he just wasn't the super star he once was for us. 7.5 sacks isn't horrible..

Jared allen is a different type of player anyway. He's still young and not beat up.

Soxcat mentioned reggie white. He sure wasn't a bad pickup for the packers was he? And white was 31 when he went to the packers.

Certainly allen's contribution will be more predictable than any DE will can draft. It fills a major need right away and helps to improve the leagues worst defense. Add a nick eason, a harper and some nice draft picks and we can be much better..

6. Haynesworth92

Haynesworth92 Fat Albert

I would do it but I doubt the team will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar