Jarrett is SLOW

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by bulluck4dMVP, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

Michigan State WR Plaxico Burress disappointed with a 4.6 40 yard dash (if he didn't give up on plays he'd be good)
    Darrell Jackson ran a 4.59
    Antonio Bryant 4.57
    David Givens 4.56
    Bobby Wade 4.66
    Justin Gage 4.66

Anquan Boldin 4.71
    Larry Fitzgerald 4.63
    Brandon Lloyd 4.62
    Bernard Berrian 4.58

The list continues, there's many WR who don't run stellar 40 yard dash times, all within ~a half second of what Jarrett ran.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2 tone...

USC's other WR the last 2 years was steve smith. He was just as productive on a game by game basis as jarrett in terms of catches and yards. Smith 2 years ago had just 7 starts but still had 42 catches and over 600 yards. His ypc is consistently over 15 and he does have speed running a 4.45 40. I think this guy in rd 2 is the better value than jarrett with the 19th pick.

I also feel the same way about greg davis from LSU. I think he will be as good or better than bowe. Both smith and davis have decent size, exellent speed and run good routes.

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_steve00.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146741

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Best Wr value in this draft..

Steve smith rd 2

Greg davis rd 2 or 3

Allison rd 3

dallas baker rd 6-7

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

He's gotta goto Carolina, just for the humour in it.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Tez..

CJ also had Reggie Ball at QB
    --------------------

Heck yeah. Ball will be an undrafted free agent WR. Matt lienart is one of the best college QBs of all time. Big diff..

Jarrett has played in an offense that averages almost 300 yards a game passing..

6. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

I like Steve Smith a lot too, I live in central California and I get USC shoved down my throat. I'm just making my observations on Jarrett being "slow". No one can question how good Jarrett's hands are so they go to his speed, next maybe his ability to break tackles or route running.

I see a few WR this year that would be great to have, I think they can all do well in the right situation, and fail in the wrong situation.

(Being a local Fresno guy I personally like Paul Williams a lot too, but I don't even try to argue that with people on message boards :lol: )

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

So what you're telling me is that there are two pro bowl WR's that ran slow 40 times (and one of them is still faster than Jarrett). There are 3 maybe 4 legitimate number 1 receivers (Berrian and maybe Jackson) on your list. So out of the 20-25 or so legit number 1 receivers, 3 ran a slow 40 coming out of college. It sounds like you just made an argument against Jarrett.

p.s. I don't think Burress counts since he is like 6-6. 4.6 speed at his size is pretty solid.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jarrett is 6`5

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

You make it sound like we have some sort of vendetta against Jarrett lol. This is what we do to draft prospects. We analyze them. I didn't say he is slow because I couldn't pick on his hands. I said he is slow because he ran slow. On top of that, he lied at the combine to avoid running. Everyone with experience analyzing draft prospects knows about the notorious USC track times. He ran a horrible time at one of the fastest tracks around. If I really wanted to pick on Jarrett I would cite the rumors of his immaturity and poor character. But since I could care less about rumors, I will just say that I think there is no reason to take a slow WR at a spot in the draft that will surely have other receivers that are the full package (namely Meachem and Bowe).

It is an often cited argument when looking at speed for WRs, that 40 times are a poor indication of the type of speed it takes to get open. Most people hypothesize that this is what allows people like Jerry Rice and Larry Fitzgerald to get consistently open even though they are slow (when looking at their 40 times). Scouts look at things like 10 yard dash, 3 cone drill, and short shuttle. Jarrett ran a 4.20 short shuttle which is about average to below average for a WR. But, what is really scary, is that he ran a 7.28 3-cone drill. That is simply atrocious. This test is the main way scouts measure agility and cutting ability. I know he is 6-4, so I'll cut him a little slack, but let's look at a comparison to understand just how bad this time was. Steve Smith, his teammate, and not a noted speedster ran a 6.68. That is six tenths of a second difference or almost 10 percent. Kevin Boss, a TE from Western Oregon (6' 6" 260 lbs) did the 3-cone drill in 6.96 seconds. 260 lbs! OT Adam Koets of Oregon State (6' 6" 294 lbs) ran his in 7.44, a mere .16 behind Jarrett. I couldn't find any source that had his 10 yard dash, but I would bet that it isn't that impressive given these two times.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Height and weight seem to be variable, but I've seen Jarrett listed as either 6-4 or 6-5 and anywhere from 210 to 219 lbs. Burress is listed at either 6-5 or 6-6 and always at 230+ lbs. So let's say that Burress is an inch taller, 15 lbs+ heavier and runs faster. I don't think he belongs in the comparison, but even if you chose to put him there, that is one other receiver who is a questionable number 1 guy. Still, the vast majority of number 1's in this league are significantly faster than Jarrett, height considered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar