Jaws ranks Locker 31st among QBs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Jun 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Remember when Fisher said it would be an open competition and Volek went 1 for 1 70 yard TD bomb and then we cut him. Fisher cut a QB that was better than most HoF QBs!!!!

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I haven't been on here in days and hope someone already pointed this out, but...

wut? Locker was 13 of 29 against the Saints.

3. AlSwearengen

AlSwearengen Camp Fodder

PFF actually had Locker's accuracy as pretty decent last year. More an issue decision-making. I doubt Jaws has him outside the Top 20 this time next year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

In his 32-part ESPN series called “Jaws’ QB Countdown,” former NFL quarterback Ron Jaworski evaluates the probable starting quarterbacks for each franchise and ranks them from 32 to 1.

For the second straight offseason, the three-minute segments air daily on SportsCenter and NFL Live.

Jaworski ranked Titans quarterback Jake Locker 31st out of the 32 probable starters, ahead of only Matt Flynn of the Raiders. Here’s what Jaworski had to say about Locker, who will be entering his second season as a starter:

“Number 31 on my quarterback countdown is Jake Locker. 2013 will be Locker’s third season with the Titans. Up to this point, he has not shown enough to warrant his selection as the eighth overall pick in the 2011 Draft. The question is: what can Locker become at his very best?

“His skillset is that of a dual-threat quarterback, with a strong arm and excellent athletic ability to make plays with his legs. Right now, Locker is a movement player. While there’s no question that has its merits, the reality in the NFL remains the same as it always has been: no one is a top-level quarterback because of the way they move or run.

“While Locker has often been talked about as throwing well on the run, a careful look at all his throws reveals that he’s erratic with both his clarity and his accuracy. What really stood out evaluating Locker was the number of sacks he took. That resulted from pressure outside the box, especially from the slot.

“It was this week four sack against Houston that cost Locker five starts. This was a tough one to read, very well disguised. The key was safety Danieal Manning. Is Manning maintaining his two deep integrity, or do you see him stacked over the inside slot, playing man-to-man versus Jared Cook? If you read him as a slot defender, then Glover Quin is blitzing. When the other safety rotated to the middle of the snap that was a clear indicator it was single-high blitz with Manning man-to-man on Cook. Pre-snap, Locker’s awareness should have been heightened. Post-snap, the blitz was confirmed.

“This is part of playing quarterback effectively from the pocket. We know Locker has the necessary arm strength and he can move; that’s not enough. It’s the subtle nuances of the position, the disciplines of the craft that Locker must work on. He’s not there yet. In fact, I believe he has a long way to go. One final point: if he does not throw with more consistent accuracy, he will always struggle to become a quality NFL starter.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

5. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER YOUR FACE JOWLS YOU FAT FKIN HATER

6. nytitaner

nytitaner Starter

seems reasonable (I'm a Locker fan) , Jake will climb that list considerably
    this year though ,guaranteed. (barring injury)

7. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Does anyone have a link to the video of the segment on Sports Center?

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Can't argue with much of that though think 31st is too low.

Thing to remember is that a lot of his issues last season could be directly tied to his injuries. To me, that can't be overlooked. He played in some games that he probably shouldn't have and he got horrible protection the last quarter of the season.

I'm on record as saying the 2013 season begins and ends with Locker and that he has to play better. But I see potential there where, it appears, Jaws does not.

9. Thesaurus

Thesaurus Starter

Can't really argue when the kid has only had 10 career starts, who's to say he's better than any starter? Way too small of a sample size to judge anything yet in regards to Jake as a quarterback.

10. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Here's where the reasonable people will see where I'm coming from, and the haters will continue to hate.

Locker is in the exact same position VY was in when he came here. The 2 seasons before VY was cut his accuracy greatly improved. Not in comparison to anyone else, but solely from his first few years, to where he finished at. After he left here I don't think his head and heart were ever into it again.

Locker has the arm and the intelligence to transition into a solid passer. He has the athleticism to make plays when things break down and to add another dimension to our offense. He has a lot of value if he pans out.

I've seen flashes from him that he can be something special. Not average, but special in his own way. I still believe he has that potential.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar