Jaws: Young Hasn't Improved From Rookie Year

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by teegee, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teegee

teegee Guest

I was listening to ESPN Radio and Ron Jaworski was on. He stayed away from Young's off-the-field stuff. Instead, he spoke about what he saw in breaking down the tape of Sunday's game.

That was: Young has not improved at all from his rookie season in terms of reading defenses and being able to go through his progressions. Jaws said that when the 1st option on a passing play was open, Young made accurate throws. But that he seemed unable to go through his progressions quickly and make correct decisions. And when his primary option was covered, his throws became wildly inaccurate.

Ignoring all the off-the-field/immaturity issues, this inability to go through his progressions and make correct decisions and accurate throws to his secondary receivers is a big problem in terms of him becoming a complete QB.

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

:bsflag:

He's way ahead of where he was his rookie year. His problem is mainly that he doesn't set his feet sometimes. That causes his throws to do all sorts of crazy things.

3. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

He won't become your typical "complete qb". The hope is for him to become an average passer and have the ability to run.

4. wino

wino True 2 the shoe..GO COLTS

:eek:

Like him or not, Jaws is the best in the business when it comes to breaking down QB play.

Exactly what are your qualifications?

I think what we're seeing in VY's life the past couple of days (and perhaps even dating back to last season when there were reports he didn't want to play football anymore) is the realization that he's been "getting away with it" for some time now, and he's having to come to grips with the face he doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL.

That being said...I feel for the fans on this board I call friends. Seeing this crap happen isn't good for anyone, and it's painful for the fans that support the team.

5. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

My problem with this is that Jaws was singing a very different tune last year when the Titans were on MNF.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

the other side of the coin is that Vince is frustrated because his reads are not on the same page as him .... and not where they should be

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Jaws remembers how bad Young was his rookie year staring down his main target and taking off after the second read. He's LIGHTYEARS ahead of where he was.

Having said that, he's not close to where he needs to be.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

having said that ... I thought this was the year they'd turn him loose if his primary target was covered

9. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Unlike Jaws, I follow 2 teams (the Titans and the Panthers). So, I have been able to see more of VY's career than Jaws.

It sounds like he is a little unstable now. That has nothing to do with his reads.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

what!?

That truly makes little sense because unless your a sports beat reporter here locally who makes a living following professional football then you're still as inexperienced as the next back seat analyzer. Jaws was a professional QB and now makes his living breaking down players to the very finest level.

VY has barely progressed from his rookie season and is currently at a snail's pace. I actually think he's gotten worse as a player overall because of everyone trying to make him into something he's not: a pocket passer. Watching VY over the last 3 years I've noticed that recently instead of tucking and running like he should he tries to force the ball into places it doesn't belong. VY is starting to show everyone that he's that failed 7th grade science project that you'd thought would win you first place. I know all of this because I only follow the Titans, which makes me more an expert than you using your logic. :grrhee:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar