Jeff Fisher defeats the Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Eddyc85, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

So you kick it no matter what? We can't know what the outcome would have been but wouldn't you be just as upset with Fisher if the thing fell five yards short of the uprights? Wouldn't you guys be saying "Fisher is always Fisher. He'll never take a chance."

If Fisher truly thought Bironas could not make it. Going for it was the right decision. The choice of play is my issue.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

after watching the D all day going for the first down was the only chance of winning the game. Kick the winner with virtually no time on the clock was the only path to victory at that point, and the O was not up too the task.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

If he missed it I would be the first to say I was wrong but it still would have been the right call. I like chances like when we handed off to Hall on 4th and 1 and he fumbled on the 1 yard line. It was still the right call even though we didn't make it.

And to be fair, Collins said JM was the right read and he overthrew him. Not like he would have caught it anyway.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

True TJ, if Fisher was 100% certain Bironas wouldn't make it. But you and know that wasn't the case. It was a calculated decision based on Fisher's perceived probability, perceived risk/reward and probably a "hunch" factor.

Fisher could no more be certain that Bironas wouldn't/couldn't make the FG than he could that we would get the 3 yards. It IS a probability and outcome decision.

Looking at history, Bironas certainly can make a 49 yarder. And the outcomes if he didn't make it, did not differ much than if he didn't make the 3 yards. Who knows why he went with a low probability play and to a low probability player like Mc "air-hands".

Hell, for all I know, this could be some psychological ploy by Fish to get the team in the right frame of mind to go deeper. Championship teams can convert a 4th and 3 when they have to.

5. KptTitanFan

KptTitanFan Guest

Or a plot to bring VY back:bighomer: hmmmm... are....... we........ starting operation conVINCEification 2.0:grrhee:

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Another interesting thing to see was that Bironas was not warming up when the Titans got to the 40. It was as if it was decided very early on that Bironas would not be kicking outside the 30 and he knew it. Because on 4th down you saw him suddenly run over to try and warm up, like someone said, you better get ready pronto, even though he didn't really need to. Anyway, thought that was a tell that he knew they'd have to get a first down before kicking too. I think everyone was on the same page from the get go.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yes. This season, but he got it in overtime, luckily we were tied, and I think he missed one a few years ago against the Ravens too, if I'm not mistaken, '06 i think?

But Kicking it probably would've been better, but I'm more upset about Titans fans acting like Chicken Little when we lose a nearly meaningless game. HFA doesn't mean much when you've already been guaranteed at least the 2 seed, and the bye, and the odds that we play Pitt at home in the AFC championship are slim.

It seems like #1 seeds are cursed anyways, and how spoiled have we been this year??? from '02-'07 we would've killed to be in this position.

On a different note, I'm going to the Colts game in week 17, I hope I get to see VY and Simms get some work. Not that I want either to start.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

:suspect:

Actually, I also thought the decision to go for it was a good call.
    Look back to my post on the first page.

Oh, and so did Coach Fisher who is considered one of the best (if not the best) coach in the league seems to think so too.

Maybe you should send your resume to Bud Adams.
    Please remember to add a subnote that you would be willing to give the ball back to the Texans with 2 minutes remaining in the game while sitting on a two point lead. :wow:

Also remember to tell him the chance of Bironas scoring the field goal is 50:50 to give us that 2 point :wow: lead.

If anything, good ole bud needs a good ole laugh after yesterday's loss. :makefun:

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Terrible call and there is no way you can defend it.

Has bironas ever missed a FG in houston? Ever?

You got one of the best kickers in the game who once won a game from 60 and you don't give him a shot from 49?

A horrible call!

10. soopacee

soopacee I'm Blaine Bishop

we couldnt even beat the Jets at home, they kicked our *****es.....but we can beat teams, on the road, like the Ravens, KC and The Bears.....and say what you want, look at stats, winning in KC isnt easy

home field may help a little.....but if your a great team, you should be able to win on the road.....no big deal

rather get losses out the way now

and im sure clinton portis would think Fisher is a "genius"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar