Jeff Fisher defeats the Tennessee Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Eddyc85, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Couple of quotes from article below:

Well said.

Get your head on straight Scaife. That team is 4-0 for its past 4 games and we are 2-2. They are the better team during that period. Pittsburgh is 5-0 over its last 5 games.

Maybe Fisher's decision was to teach the team a lesson in proper end of season mentality and guide their heads toward where they should be for the playoffs. That is the only justification I can see for not going for kick that would give us the lead. And that is not something that you can easily explain to fans and media.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/...-huge-win.html

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

The call was mind-boggling... I couldn't think of a lower percentage play on a normal day, much less on a day when Collins and McCareins were competing with on another for career-lows. Clearly Scaife, Crumpler, Lendale and CJ all got together and insulted Fisher's mother recently, and are being punished.

But as crazy as the call was, it's one play. An aggressive call, but given the defense maybe not as bad as it turned out to appear. TJ is right - the real crime is Heimerdinger abandoning the run in the 2nd half. Call after call we kept trying to take back control of the game with our weakest links. I can see some justification for the 4th-3 call, but I can't find a single justification for everything else leading up to it.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I think Fisher was more interested in shaping the team for the playoffs than getting the win.

4. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

Calm down everyone. I was at the game and that was the same side of the field that Kris Brown missed from about 22 yards. Brown is one of the better kickers in the league and he was affected by the wind. The wind was extremely strong on the field, the stands not so much. Before the game I even pointed it out to my buddy how windy it was on the field. So I can see why he did not go for the FG.

5. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

Well there is no way of knowing what would have happened. If we hadn't had that hurricane then the top would have been closed and they would have kicked it. I just hope they get their act together this week and beat the Steelers. Then it won't matter.

6. jdog

jdog I like beer!

It's very evident to me that Fisher was being manipulated by terrorist holding his family hostage.
    No other logical explaination come to mind.:rolleyes:

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I would have called a fake FG. Texans would have gone all out for the block. Having Hentrich throw a pass was probably higher percentage play than Collins to McCareins at that point.

If Bironas' range going that way was only 45 yards or so, then Kris Brown's range the other way was probably 55. If we kick the FG and go up by 2, we're giving Houston 2 full minutes to get the ball inside our 40-yard line.

And hopefully the minimal running by CJ was a plan to save him for the Steelers game. 50 carries this week!!!

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

First of all, I still want somebody with knowledge of the conditions to tell me exactly how much wind managed to swirl around inside the stadium. If there's no wind to mention then there's no reason Bironas doesn't make a 50 yard FG. Not if he wants an extension at least...

Secondly, some posters are pressuming our defence couldn't hold the Texans if we scored on the FG attempt. I'd just like to point out that after halftime the Texans had the following drives: punt, missed FG, FG, punt, punt.
    Even if we pretend that Brown doesn't shank the short FG, that's still 3 drives out of 5 without a score, no reason to think a 6th drive wouldn't also end scoreless.
    And actually just looking, the 3 drives before halftime were of 4,5 and 4 plays, all ending with punts.

And thirdly, once they decided to go for it, the playcall was horrible. For a 4th and 3 you want a high percentage play, and the selected play simply isn't. Not even for teams with decent a QB and WR.

9. Amishboy

Amishboy Camp Fodder

Well I think that play was called because they wouldn't think we would do it. I would have just faked and went for a hard count to get the first down.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you want to look at history, Fisher has been conservative TO A FAULT. He almost always would take the points and let his defense make the stop. It goes against everything we've seen from the man to think he would NOT kick if he thought it had a better chance than 30%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar