Jeff Fishers last year on the sidelines.......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Nobody answered my question.

When has jeff fisher ever taken a team to a higher level than the talent would indicate? Has he ever taken an average team to the playoffs or to just an average record like 8-8? And please knock it off with the homeless drivel.

I like jeff fisher, he's the only coach we have ever had. We know he can win if the talent is there and there is always the fear of the unknown that another coach could be worse. But please stop talking about this guy like he is some damn miracle worker. We have not been to the post season since 2003 and had the 32nd ranked defense last year.

Fisher is over rated by outsiders who for whatever reason only look at accomplishments and never failures. In 2002 we went 1-4 to start the season and then 10-1 after. What was everyone talking about? How great a job fisher did bringing us back as of some other coach got us in that 1-4 jam.

Same thing in 06 when we started 0-5. If we win one of those games we are in the playoffs..

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Compare...

Look at the jets in the late 90s. They went 9-7, 12-4, 8-8 from 97-99 with very average talent. Jeff fisher with those same teams would have been 8-8, 10-6, 7-9..

3. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Hahahaha.

How exactly do you know that?

Coaches coach, and players play. An average level of playing talent is going to turn in an average number of wins.

The idea that plugging a coach in will magically gain wins is absurd.
    What happens then if two great coaches play each other?

Preparation, organization, motivation, all of those are factors that can contribute towards winning.

But if it were just as simple as finding a "winning coach" then wouldn't the same "winningest coach" win most of the time?

Is it Dungy or Manning that makes the Colts win?

As far as deciding to keep Fisher, a rational question to ask is, who would the replacement be?
    Who is available and better?

As such, this "discussion" is no more relevant than saying that since VY is not the statistical leader, then we should replace him.

Wiser decision makers would then sign both VY, or Jeff Fisher quickly. They see something that you do not.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Roll -

You simply cannot assume what Fisher would have done with that Jets team or any other team. You also cannot assume Fisher has not taken this team higher than the talent level indicates because there is only one result and that is what was done.
    There is simply no proof to the contrary. This isn't a video game where there are player ratings and team ratings.
    It is all opinion. Consensus opinion among the 'experts' last year was we were going to challenge for the #1 pick, not a wild card berth.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I want Fisher to succeed here as much as anybody, I'd like him to get the Cowher exit, with a superbowl ring.

That being said, Fisher's record indicates he is a very good coach. Not yet among the elite of all-time, although a SB win would get him talked about among the greats.

For the most part I like what Fisher has done for this organization. There are things I have not approved of, some reasons I wouldn't mind seeing Fisher outta here. I certainly don't think everything in the franchise would suddenly be doomed if we had a new coach next year.

Let's remember too, we have only played ONE game of the season. I'm glad for the praise of Fisher, but lets at least see how the season plays out before we all annoit him as the only possible coach of the Titans.

We are talking about the same Jeff Fisher that out of 12 seasons has only 4 winning records, and zero superbowl victories.

6. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

He's not going anywhere. The ring(s) is/are coming.

7. titanmeister

titanmeister North End Zone Rules

IMHO coaches are like QB's. They get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure.

Fisher is in the upper tier of coaches. He is well respected in the league. But to me the big thing is continuity. I think the Steelers are the perfect example. Unless a coach "loses" control of the team (and the Pacman saga had me wondering) why dump a coach? Other reasons would be not adjusting to the talent on hand and severe personal issues that end up effecting the team. But otherwise I think coaching stability is huge and there are examples everywhere. God how bad would it be to be a Lions or an Arizona fan?

Sometimes the supposed great coaches are not successful. Holmgren and the Tuna have both struggled recently, although Holmgren did get the Hawks to the Super Bowl thanks to a very good RB and a weak conference. Why? The overall talent pool was not available for thier abilities to make a difference. In our town the Predators are another good example of the benefits of stability. Barry Trotz and David Polie seem to be on the same page and the Preds have a philosophy they adhere to over the long haul. They have consistently drafted good skaters and try to develop them within the system. Likewise Jeff Fisher had given the Titans an identity I like. Hard nosed physical football with a power run game.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think Fisher wants one of two things. I hope I'm wrong, but here goes:

1) He wants to negotiate once he leads the teams to the playoffs.

2) He wants to reach the playoffs, then tell Bud to stuff it.

If Bud wants to see a SB victory in this lifetime, I would say his best bet is to not be chincy and just pay Fisher. IF we can win a SB, then the entitlements that brings should offset the cost of the contract. He should know that. He's a smart businessman.

I am not crazy about the idea of Cowher as the coach. I don't want to become a 3-4 team with our personnel. That would be a big step backward. It gets people excited on the surface, but beyond that, it makes little sense.

Now what would be REALLY funny is Fisher exits following the season, Schwartz refuses and takes the HC gig on a "value" contract from Bud.

9. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

That is why Bud needs to go ahead and get the Fisher deal done...because that scenario isn't totally out of the question....

10. Bababooey

Bababooey Guest

When has Bellicheat won without talent on the field? No coach is a miracle worker... they're coaches. They're expected to turn what they have into something good. we did that last year. A below average team gets an average record. That's no miracle, but that IS good coaching. Going against the fourth ranked run D and running 282 yards in the first game and pulling out a win, that's good coaching. Keeping Pac out of trouble is a miracle. And, as you pointed out, Jeff isn't a miracle worker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar