Joe Biddle, Tennessean, 1-5-08

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

well put, i agree

2. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

I agree with these points.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Young should no doubt start. It would be great if we can get at least close to a half out of him, and if he makes it to halftime, he might play most of the game. I think the longer he plays, the better our chances of winning.

Secondly, I still think the team has a decent chance to win for these reasons:

1) We have our D-Line starters and depth, and Big Al especially. We have KVB, Odom and LaBoy. We can keep Al relatively fresh as needed.

2) While it's been nice that Gage and Williams hit a nice stride with Young to end the season, this has been a year about stepping up. All the talk was about a step backward due to the loss of Bennett, Wade and Henry. Yard for yard overall, we improved. I thought the one good thing about signing Moulds was that if we somehow made it to the postseason, we had someone with experience here when most inexperienced receivers hit a wall. Scaife has been okay, but despite his average yardage totals, I'd say he's been somewhat of a disappointment. Maybe we set our expectations too high. For the remaining TEs and WRs who have an opportunity before them, this is akin to the preseason, when you might be lucky to have a play, or a series, to prove you belong, to justify your reason for being there. I have complete confidence this team will play with a sense of urgency.

3) I still think our defense is faster and better at tackling overall than it has been in recent years. We are top 10 or so in pass defense, and top 5 in rush. This side of the ball can limit their offense, and I think if we can hold LT to around 100 or so (which is better than his average), our chances increase. The coaches, I think, create some of the problems. We give LT a little too much respect with the "he's going to get his" mentality, and I think this is evidenced by our collapse in the 4thQ last game. That, coupled with the O failing to be as successful in the 2nd half led to our D being too worn out to hold.

Forcing turnovers, playing opportunistic football, is a key. Since we are often too uncertain on special teams, we should attempt our best to create field position opportunities through turnovers. We likely cannot lose this battle, at least not by much (-1). When I think of Brown, LaBoy, Odom, Thornton, Bulluck, Griffin, Fuller, not to mention KVB and Al, I'm pretty sure these guys are thinking the same.

4) Back to the offense for a minute. Chow has to put together one of his best gameplans for creating mismatches. If we think we have some potential or gas in the tank with Moulds, Troupe, Henry, Mike Williams, Ealy (Davis I'm afraid of fumbling as a WR, and I like better slot matchups with Williams, Ealy, Troupe -- I'd go with size), now's the time to put it out there and see if we have it. We still have a two-time probowler, a freak of nature TE, a legit 4.4 RB with speed and power, a top-ten pick at WR and a guy whose apparently good enough to hang around and be made active. Hopefully these guys can contribute one play at a time. Bottomline: I think it's up to Chow to exploit these guys' talents when able, and these guys to show why they were brought here. For some of these guys, it could be the highest stage they acheive in their football careers. I think the offense could pull it out. The question becomes whether our depth is good enough to keep us up. I think on some days, hopefully tomorrow, it is.

Contributions I'd like to see: Chris Henry hitting it hard inside and outside when he plays. Successful screens. Good WR blocking. Troupe down the seam. These are a few of my favorite things. Oh, and a couple of catches from whomever is playing 3rd and 4th WR wouldn't hurt, either.

4. DJB

DJB Starter

I can't believe people think Collins should start.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

For the 100th time, Vince did not bring, lead, take, or get this team to the playoffs. The defense did, and they could have used a little help from Vince every now and then, but never got much.

6. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

This has been my argument all week. This is a season to build for the future. We will win with Vince in the years to come, and this experiencepwin or lose is clearly best for his long term development.

People seem to forget last year when we sucked with Collins starting. He is what he is--a good backup quarterback capable of filling in for the starter.

I am honestly not sure why people of even moderate intelligence would be questioning this logic...

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah, one could make more of a case for LenDale White or Albert Haynesworth than for Vince

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

there is a downside to this descripted "positive playoff experience for Vince" and that is if he's crushed and exposed

irregardless, if he is to remain the QB of this franchise, he has got to be able to excel in this type of environment

9. SHSUTitan

SHSUTitan Camp Fodder

Most great QBs have to lose a few in the playoffs-and some in brutal fashion before they reach the mountaintop--there have been some exceptions over the years-Brady, Big Ben, etc, but Manning, Elway, etc lost for several years before they won big. Going through the process, getting the experience can only help. I would venture to say that most players would agree with that statement.

10. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Play Young. Period. Joe Biddle is an idiot. The best thing about spending the last few years in Knoxville is not having to read his crap in the Tennessean. If Young can go he needs to play. This is valuable experience for Young who is the starter of this franchise for many years to come. Kerry Collins is not. Since when is Kerry Collins our best chance of winning? When he came in against the Chargers he was a freaking target. Put Young out there unless he just can't go at all. I am more than over the "anti young" start Collins talk. This team is not a superbowl contender. This year the team just needs to play. Go out experience the playoffs. If you can win great. If not it was a good season, go get ready for next year. This is playoff experience VY needs . Kerry Collins can go back to his farm for all I care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar