Joe Flacco's Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RavensShallBurn, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Right

Because his receivers are not the ones who really set him above and beyond that game. Nor that gigantic kick return.

Face it, 9/10 the quarterback get FAR too much credit for the success of the team around him. Just look at how Smith played this year and was easily replaced by Kaep.

Don't forget, that Schaub, Cassel, and Flynn all came from behind the 'great' QBs and have done NOTHING on the teams they have gone on to play for. The system and the rule changes is what makes some of these QBs stand out now days. To say Flacco is a great QB is really ignoring the ever changing situation around him. Point being, the Ravens could have traded for Smith, and be in a better position for next year. QB is the most fake position being played today.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Joe Flacco is not elite. How anyone can make that argument is beyond me.

Career highs; 63.1% completion, 3,800 yards, 25 TDs. In a league that has every rule in the book slanted towards being explosive with the passing game those are elite numbers? He got hot at the right time of the year. Those are like Steve McNair's numbers TEN YEARS AGO, against better defenses and with fewer rules that favored the offense.

Highest paid QB in the league and he can't score more than 25 TDs in a year? That's horrid.

Joe Flacco winning a Super Bowl is all the proof I need to support some people's claim that "anyone can win one championship. The elite guys have multiple."

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Its stupid is what it is

The expansion of the NFL has attracted all these dumb fans, contracts like this are going to tear the league apart. Either teams will be giving monster contracts or soon the cap will get lifted. Teams will not be able to afford 20mil a year for a player scoring less than 30 TDs every season.

4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I hear you, we all know football is a team game. I tend to agree that QB's get too much credit for wins but on the other hand they also get a disproportionate amount of the blame if the team loses. Joe Flacco didn't create these rules so to single him out about getting too much credit is kind of short-sighted considering that every other QB who has had success in this era has done so under the same rules and climate. Conversely, infinitely more guys have sucked and been driven out of the league even with these "offense friendly" rules.

Using "the system" is also inaccurate. Kyle Boller, Steve McNair (R.I.P), Tyrod Taylor, Chris Redman, Anthony Wright, Jeff Blake, Elvis Grbac. If you don't recognize most of these names it's because they were the previous Ravens QBs. They've always had a great defense it's not a coincidence that as soon as Flacco steps in they start winning. The man took them to the playoffs as rookie and went 11-5, they were 5-11 the previous season. C'mon. And yea, his receivers help him out greatly but with the exception of maybe Brady what elite QB doesn't have pro-bowl caliber receivers to throw to? Besides Boldin is 32 and Torrey Smith was a second year guy, they played very well but it's not like Joe was throwing to Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald either.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Using the system as an excuse is a very accurate statement regarding the Ravens. All of those QBs you listed, either came from a different day and age, or were way outside of their prime. The Ravens also have/had more weapons than any of those passers you mentioned.

New coaches, better weapons, and rule changes all benefited Flacco. I still stand by my statement that Flacco is no better than the Smiths, Ryans, Palmers, and mid range QBs of the league.

Flacco had Boldin, Smith, Rice and Pitta. Those guys are all very solid to great players. That offense is FILLED with explosive players. All Flacco has to do is get the ball to them and let them do the rest.

6. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

Id still trade our team for him... just sayin

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Jacoby Jones deserved that contract more than Flacco.

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

But you can say that about pretty much every QB who has won a superbowl recently and or is considered elite. Roethlisberger, Brees, Rodgers, and Eli were all the beneficiaries of new systems, new coaches, and better weapons than their predecessors. Why is Flacco to be singled out? Because his stats aren't good enough?

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I do say that about every 'elite' QB.

and yea basically, it is because his stats are not good enough. Rogers, Brees, Brady, and Manning will go their entire careers with MAYBE one or two awful losing season under their belt, as long as those teams are led by them, they will be in the playoff race. Not Flacco, that guy is going to need a team around him.

10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Well as long as you're consistent then I have no beef with you, just a difference of opinion. Your standards for what is "elite" just seem to be a bit higher than mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar