John Clayton showing VY some love!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jfrancis04, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Or, February. :wink2:

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I was a Oiler fan back in 1978 until they left Houston. Stopped watching the NFL for the better part of a decade but came back when Vince came into the league.

As for the last draft, I touted Jamal Charles for the same reason I also liked Chris Johnson, they were the two fastest guys in the draft and I have said all along the thing this team was missing has been team speed. I liked Sweed and the receiver from Kal simply because they were the two fastest (well Sweed is both big and fast)

I don't remember saying much about Okam outside the fact that he was dropping like a rock and in the later rounds would be a steal since I believe he was a legit 3rd round talent.

I did a mock with the Titans picking all Texas players but in that I made it clear (to those with reading comprehension skills) it was sarcasm.

BTW the reports about Sweed in Pittsburgh and Charles in KC are pretty damn good right now so I have no remorse in thinking they would be good picks.

BTW looking at Next years draft there isn't a single Longhorn I would consider drafting. The following year is a different story.

3. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

The love continues...http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3533200

Q: John, If the Titans can turn red zone field goals into touchdowns this year, do the Titans have what it takes to make a run deep into the playoffs? The defense should be on par with last year, obviously the offense and Vince Young will be question marks. Assuming VY is able to get the ball in the end zone more this year, can my Titans turn into the dominant force of the AFC South they were from '99-01?

Tim in St. Louis

A: During my 14-team training camp trip, I remembered the Titans. To me, they look better than the playoff team of last season. Their young defensive linemen are coming on, particularly second-rounder Jason Jones. Other than Darren McFadden, Chris Johnson is the most electrifying runner I saw on the tour. Vince Young has improved his pre-snap reads and footwork. They are good enough to not only challenge the Jaguars for second place in the division but to challenge the Colts, too.

4. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Damn!!! That's nice to read. I just hope we aren't getting pumped up just to be let down.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Okay 2 days till the next game! I can't wait to see "The Burner".

6. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

I am going to take the glass-half-full approach and say we are getting pumped for good reason! :wink2:

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

ColtKiller -

Understand these things: I like Vince as a person. I think he is a guy that's hard to root against. I like the fire he has when playing well. And of course - I hope he's the best QB to ever play the game, one way or another.

However I also have a friend of mine that I also wish would get his life together. He has so many good qualities, but he just doesn't have the motivation, patience, or plans to become something other than a pot-smoking fast food employee.
    Every day I hope he breaks that stance. Every day I want to hear he's cleaning up and getting a foot in the door to reach his potential, but he's 27 years old now...odds are, it's not going to happen.

Vince is the same. I'll always hope he proves me wrong, but he never gives me reason to be optimistic. He's a guy that has potential, but can't pass the ball to save his life. He's not quick enough (brain-wise) to make reads, so the odds are, it's not going to happen.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

And you gather this after 1.75 seasons as a starter? You do realize he has better stats as a starter than Terry Bradshaw, Eli Manning and Payton Manning had at this point in their careers. Don't give me the garbage that Bradshaw played in a different era Vince plays in a run oriented offense same as Terry did.

Hell, McNair has about 2 or 3 starts by this point in his career, Vince had a great Rookie season and a tough 2nd season. I have seen great strides in him going back to him at Madison HS. Even last year he didn't regress as bad as he looked he still played better in year 2 than in year 1. Now if by year 4 if he still looks like he can't make plays with his arm then I can understand your feelings but to say it since day one of his rookie season speaks more about you then it does about him.

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

His rookie year he won ROY now because of the usual sophmore slump some are paniced or giving up him a little. Come on guys!

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Are you serious? Eli Manning sucks too, so I wont even factor him in to this, but:

Peyton Manning -
    Rookie Year -
    3,749 yards passing
    26 TDs
    28 ints
    71.2 rating

Vince Young's Rookie Year:
    2,119 yards passing
    12 TDs
    13 ints
    66.7 rating

Uhhhhhh...so rookie years aren't even close. Let's try the next year to see if we can find a plug for that thing you talk from...

Peyton Manning Sophmore Year:
    4,135 yards passing
    26 TDs
    15 ints
    90.7 rating

Vince Young's Sophmore year:
    2,546 yards passing
    9 TDs
    17 ints (jesus christ...)
    71.1 rating

So uh...basically, Vince doesn't even have better stats in his sophmore year than Peyton did in his rookie year. Better stats. hahaha

So we end up with this difference:

yards passing: 3,219 in favor of Manning
    TDs: 31 in favor of Manning
    Ints: 13 in favor of Vince

I'm not even going to bother looking up the others after you blindly pulled this one from who knows where...

He didn't play better in year 2. He regressed. He threw more ints, and less touchdowns. Pacman wasn't there to win games for him while he gets all the credit this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar