Josh Gordon's letter to Sir Charles, Cris Carter, and Stephen A.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hormesis

Hormesis Pro Bowler

The 2nd hand smoke thing is impossible, but I liked the way he basically told em to go F*&* themselves for the comments about his well being and never haven spoken to him or met him. Being a WR he has plenty of time to turn himself around. I hope he does.

2. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Have you heard any of his interviews? Josh Gordon is a well spoken person, so why wouldn't this be written by Josh??

too many big words??

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Great article. I'm glad he wrote it. Stephen A. Smith is a sack of sh*t (from what I see on TV)... Barkley and Carter have their brash attitudes as well, but Smith is just a genuine d-bag. There are moments of brilliance in which Smith will say something that makes sense. Usually he's just screaming for no reason... and it entertains enough people that ESPN will keep him on.

Easier said than done when a person is really struggling. I've called Gordon an idiot many times, and now I am reminded that I probably shouldn't judge someone, knowing nothing about them.

He doesn't sound like an idiot after reading this article. Part of this sounds like really bad luck. He's done a lot of things in the past that many other young guys, myself included (other than the DUI and whatnot), have done as well... the only difference is the average person isn't scrutinized by the media for their private actions. Yes, it's part of his job not to do these things, and he is facing plenty of punishment for doing so.

The hypocrisy of some of the media guys is just incredible. It would not surprise me one damn bit if the same journalists judging him are toking up behind the scenes as well. We know they've all done it at some point. If not toking up, they have other demons, as does everyone.

My best friend since childhood went through rehab for heroin addiction. He somehow hid it from me for years... because when we'd hangout, everything was fine and he didn't have to worry about temptations. I knew there was something wrong, but every time I would ask if everything's alright, he'd just assure me he was doing fine. I knew he had had issues with drugs in high school, but I thought he was straightened out. He was just really good at hiding it and didn't want to be judged.

When I discovered it, I was shocked. I learned that he had been staying at some rundown, unmonitored halfway house (something you might see in Breaking Bad). I immediately got in my car, picked up his girlfriend and we drove over there to have an intervention type thing... Once he realized that I wasn't judging him for his current situation, he opened up about all sorts of stuff that had happened. He went back home the next day.

That night, his dad walked downstairs to discover him OD'ing on the couch. They rushed him to the hospital. Luckily he survived... and that was his wake up call. He wanted to go to rehab for real this time. So they sent him off to a legit hardcore rehab program (again, similar to Jesse in BB), and he's now been clean ever since.

Most people who don't know him have judged him and/or stopped being his friend. he point is he's a really good guy who got mixed in with the wrong crowd in high school and was easily influenced and manipulated by others. Basically he was just like Jesse Pinkman (which is why Jesse was my favorite character in the show), minus the dumb aspect. In fact, he was borderline genius with a scholarship to a prestigious school in SoCal (where he was introduced to heroin), which made it all the more tragic. Yea, you can say it's dumb to try drugs, but some people in today's culture want to fit in so badly that they'll do whatever others around them will do. Classic peer pressure. When I was pressured into trying hardcore drugs, I always just said "f*ck no" and played video games with other friends instead. It was easy for me. Obviously it's not easy for everyone.

I'll never understand drug addiction. I would be too terrified to try anything other than pot, so it'll never be an issue for me. But when you have someone close to you go through it, it changes things for you.

I got way off track here, but just felt like telling that story... I've actually never told this story in person, out of respect for my friend. Well, I told my girlfriend at the time because I ditched her that night to go to the halfway house, and I had to explain why.

Hopefully Gordon has good friends and family that will support him and get him the help that he needs. He doesn't even need to worry about football right now.

Sports media is too busy judging Lynch (who is probably now my favorite player in the league after the way he's handled/trolled the media in addition to him just being a beast) and Gordon, while a former Pro Bowl tight end turned serial killer began his trial today. Makes sense.

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I get why you'd think that, and it crossed my mind immediately as well... but like JCB said even if he didn't write it, the story is the same.

Richard Sherman and Arian Foster are both very good writers and have published multiple articles. The only difference between those two and Gordon is that they managed to keep their demons hidden.

Sherman went to Stanford and Gordon went to Baylor. Those are prestigious schools... Of course, they both got in due to athletics, but there's no doubt they benefited from their education.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That was written by one professional and edited by a few others. Word selection, thought progression, active to passive ratio etc.

The story may be the same but this is high dollar damage control. Gordon is obviously desperate to stay in the league when he throws what it would take to produce that at it.

I say we take a flier on him when the opportunity arises.

• Boring Boring x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Any one of us here could have written that.

7. Riverman

eeehh- I don't agree. A few could and some could get in the neighborhood. There are too many layers of quality writing in that piece and a TON of spin. That has professional written all over it.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You might be right, but I just saw less to it than you I guess. It was nicely put together regardless.

9. Riverman

No doubt. It is a high quality piece. Gordon is motivated or he wouldn't have had it put together.

10. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Yeah, this letter is such a load of crap I don't feel the need to type out my full thoughts on how Josh Gordon just convinced me he is destined to fail. Again.... For like the 6th time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar