JRob Overrated?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Are you suggesting that we should have gone into the season with 1 CB on the roster?
    Jones had 2.5 career sacks prior to the last 2 games. Casey and Klug are the capable interior pass rushers.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Not all pressure results in a sack. This team has long since need pass rush help. And we’ll have to see how we compensate with run D as well. Sly Williams hasn’t been that good.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

This is true, but there is a reason why Casey gets more sacks in a year than Jones gets in 4. He's that much better of a pass rusher. And Sly is just a clogger of running lanes, he doesn't offer much in terms of tackle or sack production. People are down on him, but he's having a pretty good year per PFF.

I think the need for pass rush is overstated. We were 6th in sacks last year, and we're just a few away from being in the top 10 again.

The DC also makes a huge difference as far as pressure generation goes. Denver went from a top team in terms of generating sacks last year to being worse than us this year, while the Rams did the complete opposite under Phillips. Things could be worse than DLB, though they could also be better.

4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I think the need for pass rush is overstated. We were 6th in sacks last year, and we're just a few away from being in the top 10 again.

I think it's more about some consistency. Some games we get absolutely zero pressure and then some games, when it rains, it pours.

QB's known to hold the ball too long (Big Ben, maybe Brissett) are some games we get some more pressure, but we need to be able to generate some against those quick release guys like Brady too. The reason Denver was able to bet them for their SB run was all pressure on Brady. Same with the NYG when they beat them 2x.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Haynesworth willing to come out of retirement for the vet minimum?

• LOL LOL x 2
  6. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

That describes most defenses. Jacksonville barely breathed on Mariota while recording multiple 10 sack games otherwise.

Having better players is only part of the equation. That same defense which sacked their way to a SB is one of the worst this year and gets shredded and stonewalled up front on a weekly basis. We need a DC who can play chess with top tier OCs and QBs like there are in NE. If you want to beat a team like that with brute talent on defense, which is more or less Dick's strategy, good luck.

7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I'm not sure if it's been said yet, but we really do need to address the elephant in the room. Orakpo has just not been his old self this year. I've watched him on countless plays and he does not have the burst, explosion, or drive that he's had in past years. He doesn't look like he's playing injured, he just no longer has the ability to beat guys one on one the way he used to.

Just like at the WR spot, you need some guys on the team who can win 1 v 1 every time. He used to be that guy. This year he hasn't been at all and it's noticeable. We're having to bring guys from all over to try to get a pass rush and that's hurt our pass defense because we're compromising our secondary to get pressure.

We absolutely need to replace him sooner than later. Next year is his last year on contract, and I would be surprised to see us cut him because he can still be solid depth and play, but we need to look long and hard at FA and the draft for an OLB to take his spot. Dodd was obviously supposed to be the guy, but that didn't happen. Time to keep looking.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Either draft one or sign one. Quiet sinmple

9. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Quite simple.

Yes, because there is only 1 corner on the field at any given time.

10. RPD

RPD Starter

That's fair. I read an article posted on Music City Miracles talking about how much drafting a WR in the 1st round actually helps a team "get over the hump", or what have you. Not much. According to stats and wins drafting a WR doesn't really help a team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar