Juno = Very forgettable.

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Having been a series-long fan of Oz, I just can't imagine JK Simmons and "feel good moments" in the same sentence.

[​IMG]

2. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

See now i saw it before any of the hype and before anyone claimed it was a "comedy" so i absolutely LOVED it. I can quote at least a handful of lines if not more that had me rolling. I wasn't expecting someone to make me laugh about a teenager who doesn't want her baby, but the the female character was able to do that. I also appriciated that the movie wasn't focused on the schools' "popular" kids. Too many teenage dramas about "boo hoo hoo, I can no longer show my face to the in-crowd because i got knocked up."

I understand people don't like it... "its art, half the world will love it, half the world will hate it, and half of them are lying just to appease the others around them." but why does that make my OPPINION WRONG? I really don't get some of the posters on this board who take movie reviews so seriously. Even the proffesionals that make them don't care this much.

3. That's part of what made it funny...

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Your opinion isn't wrong anymore than Gloat's opinion is right...it's just an opinion.

I went into that movie without any preconcieved notions and really enjoyed it. Saw "There Will Be Blood" and while was good, to me wasn't as good as some say...in my opinion.

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

No idea if your including me in that Sapper but I'll answer it anyway because I am a harsh critic.

I love the arts.Books,music,films,television & theatre. I'm way more passionate about them than it's socially acceptable to be & a highly opinionated barsteward with it.

In terms of movies I'm ridiculously critical because that's the medium that seems to take the least note of what it's audience really wants. I just find it so frustrating when a movie comes out which has a wonderful idea that is badly executed.

Even if I enjoy a movie I'll still criticise it.The vast majority of critics who do it for a living are like sheep who rarely have their own opinion for fear of losing favour with the studios.

Yahoo.com's movie section has a pro critics review/ratings section alongside a members review/ratings section. The critics rarely make reviews that agree with the majority of opinions of those members of the public who've taken the time to write a review.

No Country For Old men & Juno are both excellent movies that suffered in my opinion due to the level of hype & awards frenzy surrounding them. No Country in particular seems to have the largest number of viewers who have watched it based on hype & exited the cinema wondering wtf was it about & why is everyone so hot for it.It was as true to a book as any film recently made but suffered for it a little as a result.

The ending of the book isn't ambiguous in any way.The only way to avoid that would be to add a narrative to the movie by Tommy Lee Jones character but IMO the Coen brothers did the right thing by leaving it hanging like they did.Those who see it & then seek out the book are the ones who'll really appreciate the story as they told it.The two mediums complement each other in this case which is a rare achievement.

Ultimately neither movie was aimed at the mainstream but through quality product & word of mouth ended up being hits. This hurts the general movie going audience as much as endless sequels because the studios rush out to find clones of any successful movie that's different.

They do so without ever understanding why a movie was well received.They would make a lot more money if they stopped messing about with target audience figures,stats & product placements.

I critique because I wish for & expect better. Rant,waffle over sweetpea.:clown:

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

So what do you really think Childress? :grrhee:

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

That was the short version too.:))

Zodiac was one of the very best films of last year but it didn't get any recognition at all.
    :irked:

8. Sappersis

Sappersis "custom user title here"

No you were not included in that... I was just spitting wind about those who believe thier views alone matter.... the posters who don't know the definition of the word "opinion"

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Oh I'm pretty sure I'm the only one with an opinion that matters. Hold on, let me check... yeah, I'm the only one. ;)

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Are you sure my name was not on that list? Check again .... I'll wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar