Just a hunch.. backup QB

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by PitBull, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

This might sound insane to some, but if you think about it for a minute it might sound like an OK idea. It’s a fact that VY has this magic about him and brings to the NFL the same golden touch that MJ brought to the NBA and our coaches are crazy about him and have made the decision to invest in him for the long run. Its also obvious that we are building this team around VY and most of the roster selections we make and will make in the next 8-10 yrs will be based upon his play style..

We need an excellent O line to give VY the time to make a decision and chip himself through the holes when he decides to run..

We also need (and probably already have in AH) an excellent FB who can catch the ball and pound his way for a first down every once in a while.

We need an outstanding TE who can catch the short passes and get a few yards..

We will also need to run it alot with our RBs and QB..

We probably won’t invest in a WR who perfects the deep catches since I really don’t see VY airing the ball as much and committing himself to the West Coast offense.

With that said, I’m sure most have heard of Troy Smith. Many analysts in someway compare his play style to VY. I doubt he or anyone else will ever be another VY in terms of playability and leadership and the magic VY brings to the field on a weekly basis.. however what I’m thinking is that if his playstyle is somewhat similar to VYs, and mgt is committed to building an offense around VY’s playstyle; would it not be wise to bring this guy in as a backup since he plays the same style and could serve as a backup without having to change the entire playbook to suit another QB’s play style for just a few snaps.. I can only imagine that this kid could pick up the blocks if called upon and serve the offense in a better way than KFC can as a temp since KFC will be looking to air it out, whereas this guy would be doing the same that VY is and what the offense has been accommodated to from VY.

Most mock drafts have him going in the early/mid third round, so since we have no real backup QB for VY whom we could depend on for the long run, I believe that Troy could be a solid backup for VY…

His strengths remind me a lot of VY..
    * Very athletic with great speed for the position.
    * Arm is more than adequate and he throws a nice ball...
    * Moves well, can scramble, throw on the run and hurt teams with his feet...
    * An accurate passer who minimizes his mistakes and doesn't throw a lot of interceptions...
    * Became a leader as he got older and is well respected by his teammates...
    * Has a solid build and is tough to tackle...
    * A gamer who steps up in the biggest situations...
    * Really developed as a passer in '06 and is still improving.

Just a hunch… ;)

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I like the idea, but I imagine some other team is going to take a chance on developing him into their starting QB. That said, if he fell to the fourth round, it might be worth our second 4th rounder. I can't see us using a third round pick on him, considering the number holes we have to fill.

3. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

I am a huge.. and I mean HUGE Buckeye fan.. Theres nothing more I would want then to have Troy play for the Titans but me being a huge fan of his.. I really dont want him to be a backup his whole career. I want him to go to a team and proove everyone wrong and be a sucessfull starter and maybe even one of the better QB's in the NFL.

Its a good idea... but he wouldnt want to be a backup.

I know he will be great. But for us no..we would be holding him back.

4. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

no, because it would mean we would have to use a day one pick for Troy Smith, which wouldn't be wise- I think Chris Leak wouldn't be a bad option...

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Smith will go to Cleveland. He's a hometown boy.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

no
    way ?!?!?!

7. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

It's a good thought, but as others have pointed out we've got too many holes to use a day 1 pick on a backup, I like the Chris Leak idea 4th/5th round, but we need our first day picks to be guys that can get significant playing time, not necessarily in '07, but you don't draft a guy day one to be a career backup.

8. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

i dont think its worth wasting a draft pick on him when we really need help at other positions (defense and WR).

I know that Smith and VY are friends and that Smith looked at VY as a role model, and that kind of chemistry might be good, but its just not a role we should be filling through the draft.

9. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

i really don't think Troy would be successful as a starter. I doubt we'll see him as a championship calibur starter 3 or 4 years down the road with any other franchise..

I would also hate to use up a third or round pick to bring in a backup, however this kid could serve as our backup QB for the long term, so it would really address the backup QB issue we have, and imo could be well worth the sacrafice. What guarantees do we have that the CB or WR we select with our third round pick won't be cut 2 or 3 years from now...

Heck, Woolfolk a first round pick has turned out to be a bust... so theres no real guarantees that the guy we pick witho our 3rd will turn out to be a gem...

I think this guy might be well worth sacrificing a third round pick for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar