Just Lose, Baby

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Maker_84, Dec 3, 2012.

?
  1. Yes. Wins mean nothing now. I want the higher pick.

45.0%
  2. No. You play to win the game.

43.3%
  3. I'm indifferent. I barely care enough to answer this poll.

11.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Whether we draft 3-5 or 8-15, given our history, we are likely to draft one of the worst selections either way.

So might as well get wins. Players are going to learn more and gain more confidence going into next season winning. Not going out like losers.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Yall can call me a fake fan but wins mean nothing now, I definitely want the higher picks. Normally I would say that we have pride to play for to have some sort of confidence to take with us into next season but didn't we just do that last year. F*** that noise, lose out and turn our attention to the draft.

At this point we need to start our young guys and say FTW, tank like a MF.

3. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Fake Fan - One who hangs around fans but takes no active interest or part in fandom..

Just because some people think opposing views = fake fan.

What you guys are arguing over is what you think is best for the team. Some think a few wins at the end of the season will help, others think a high draft pick will help.

I dont think there are any fake fans on this site.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Once again. Irrelevant. If you pick before other teams, you're chances are better because you can pick whoever you want. lol, why are you guys not getting this.

This is as clear as I can put it.

Pool of 260 players

Pick #1 has 260 chances to pick a stud
    Pick #260 has 1 chance to pick a stud

I'd rather have 260 chances...

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You are purely talking about odds which often has little to do with results.

Let's go back to '08 since I think five years gives us a pretty good judge of who has emerged as a quality player from that draft.

Is Jake Long taken at #1 more valuable than Matt Ryan at #3? I personally don't think so. Would the Dolphins be better off now with Ryan? I think so. But, at the time, they ranked Long higher.

The Jets took Gholston at #6. Horrible pick. Think they feel good about how that valuable pick worked out?

You can go to every draft and find high picks which never panned out. Thus, the pick is of more value at the time it's made because there are more options available but it doesn't guarantee anything.

6. TheSureThing

This kind of logic is stupid. Drafts are not related to each other. Because we've drafted poorly in picks 1-5 in the past isn't related to what we'll do in the future. The FACT is the higher the pick we get the more likelihood we will draft a difference maker.

In no way am I saying we should lose on purpose, but we should definitely be playing the younger, less experienced, even less talented players, to develop our prospects. Our mission at this point shouldn't be "get a few wins to go out like winners" or any crap like that. Ask the colts, that BS doesn't matter. They haven't had a stretch like ours in 15+ years...Our mission should be develop the young guys and improve day by day, wins are meaningless.

7. TheSureThing

Yes. You're right, it doesn't guarantee you'll draft a player that will pan out. But I've posted stats that PROVE it guarantees you get a higher chance at drafting a difference maker.

37% of top 12 picks in the past 7 drafts are probowlers.
    25% of the rest of the first round was probowlers in that same time frame.
    6% of the rest of the draft was probowlers from 2005-2009.

You're picking out the exceptions acting like busts like Gholston matter in this argument. The draft is such a crapshoot you're going to have busts. But the fact is picks 1-5 will always have more difference makers over time than picks 6-10, 11-15, or 16-20, etc. The difference is minimal unless you use a big enough sample size but over long periods of time the top picks will always produce more studs, naturally.

You can't look at one pick like Ryan or Gholson and make a conclusion. You've got to look at a bigger sample size.

And some of you seem to think I'm saying you can't draft a game changer later in the first round. Yes, you can, obviously. There's always going to be Orakpo's, CJ's, and Aaron Rodgers that are picked outside of the top 10. But the point I'm making is it doesn't happen as often as the top picks..

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Unless some miracle was to occur, the Titans will be drafting in the Top 12.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

We have an almost guaranteed loss against the Packers and a likely loss against a Colts team that cannot afford to lose.

We are likely to finish 6-10 and I am sadly not even sure if we can beat the Jets or Jags at this point.

10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Does this include Micheal Griffin and VY???? .... there goes your arguement

haha JK. I agree that if you draft higher you have a better chance to get a stud player, but its still a crapshoot.

To me our situation is different that the Colts though. They were about to blow up the whole team and start from scratch, and they knew that is what they were about to do. We are already rebuilding. We have our young QB, WRs, LBs, CBs, etc. We need them to get experience. I want to see them improving. Winning games is a sign of improvement.

If we had an old team, or we were about to get rid of a bunch of guys currently on the team, then fine, lose all your games. No need for those guys to get better. They will be gone anyway. That is not the case for us right now.

Also I hate the Colts, I hate the Jags ... I want to beat them!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar