Just wondering how you felt about Hawaii.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by TitanGuy, Nov 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Sorta like the Titans being 6-3 vs. the NFC South and AFC West, yet still expecting playoff berth? :))

And to answer another point, the BCS is crap anyway, so BFD if a supposed "mid major conference" team plays/hosts it.

This win was important to the Warriors because Boise has had their number for years and years. And like I said, I'm a bit biased.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But you earn that birth. You cant compare the NFL and college structure. I have nothing against Hawaii, and they, like Boise st last year, are fun to watch. In saying that, if they do get a BCS bowl and get matched up with an LSU or GA, its going to be laughable. Now if they get Kansas, it will be an entertaining game, but Kansas isnt overly impressive either.

3. avvie

No, you can't; but what you've basically said was that Hawaii's WAC Championship is null and void because they didn't play LSU or Georgia, or whatever supposedly "better" team, so they shouldn't be given a BCS bowl. With that same rationale, you could just as easily say that the Titans should never be granted an opportunity for a playoff spot--even a WC--because they didn't earn it: they played crappy teams.

It's really all moot, because the entire collegiate ranking system is pure speculative BS with no science to it whatsoever. A team cannot have a ranking before the season is played. There is no way to judge whether or not LSU is better than Hawaii, or if Hawaii is better than Alamance Elementary School. What it would come down to is simply the same reason that the International Date Line is right behind us: there isn't enough of us to complain about it and be heard.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Its nowhere near the same rationale. If your in a mid major conference, schedule one or two major conference teams and beat them (and I dont mean washington). I dont think you should be given a shot at the national title or a BCS bowl because you are the best mid major team. If you want to compete at that level, schedule a couple of good teams, and beat everyone in your conference. Boise played GA 2 years ago, and was beaten by about 30. Last year, they didnt have a GA or any other similar program on their schedule, and they go unbeaten and pull one out against OK. And I agree the system sucks, but these teams like Boise or Hawaii dont do anything to prove their worth. Maybe Hawaii is that good, I dont know, because they havent played anyone worth a damn.

And in the NFL, you have to prove it on the field. Yes, some schedules are tougher than others. But overall, the NFL schedules are pretty similar and all are competitive. Hawaii hasnt played a competitive schedule. My philosophy is either be in a major conference, or schedule a couple of top tier games every year. If you dont do that, you have no reason to complain if you arent rewarded because you ran the table against mid major competition.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I agree with dg1979us. You shouldn't be rewarded with one of the best bowls for playing weak teams. We're not saying they shouldn't get a bowl (i.e. the Titans getting a playoff spot) we're saying they shouldn't get a BCS bowl.

For that matter, Ohio State shouldn't get a BCS Bowl either. They shouldn't even be in the mix for the Championship game, since they have beat NOBODY, and I mean N O B O D Y !!!

6. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Laughable? You mean the way Boise beat Oklahoma last year in a thriller? I think both Hawaii & Boise State are great for college b/c of the excitement they bring to the field each & every week. Look, LSU just got beat by Arkansas in which D-Mac played almost the entire game taking direct snaps @ QB. Do you honestly think they can defend a spread 4 & 5 WR offense especially with Dorsey hurting? Plus this is no usual Hawaii defense, who in the past have been rated near last in D-1. This year, they are 32nd if I remember right. I see no reason why they can't hang with any other team in the country, especially since there's no dominant teams. :))

7. Hoffa

That was great for college football, but it will probably never happen like that again.

Hawaii this year is no where as good as Boise was last year. It's not that they haven't played anyone, it's that they haven't played anyone AND barely managed to win against a lot of those nobodies. It's not like they've dominated their weak schedule, they haven't.

8. Hoffa

How are you a biased Hawaii fan, with a new avatar to boot?
    Just because you moved to Maui last year? You're not from Hawaii, you didn't attend Hawaii, and they don't even play their games on the island you live on.
    If I move to Fargo next year, will that make me a biased South Dakota fan?

Just wondering how those biases work...:))

9. avvie

Happy to explain:

Most of my working life has involved working on Saturdays, so I never developed any allegiances. Here, I've actually had time to pay attention and develop one. I even get to watch the games with other fans. Yes, I know they've sucked in the past.

I've never lived in Tennessee, and I hated the entire sport during the Oiler years. I became a Titans fan because a friend of mine moved to Nashville, and we needed something to talk about. :yes: Howdya like that? :))

No, I don't give a flying **** what anyone's definition of a "real fan" is.

BTW, I'm not keeping that avatar...it's just a temporary congratulation. The irate Titan will return soon.

10. Hoffa

I don't think I asked that question.

But, I would have been more impressed if you'd brought out the Warrior avatar at the beginning of season, not at the end...:))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar