Keeping fisher doesn't look so bad..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2 coaches that truly deserved to be fired were retained in Houston and Cincy. Hell they were talking about a new contract extension for Marvin Lewis. Huh?

Now John Fox who coached the worst team in the league gets the gig as the Bencos head coach.

Fisher has a better career record than all three.

Seriously i do think Fox is a good coach who was working for a bad organization and had horrible luck with injuries but i wanted him for our new DC and hoped nobody would hire him. Darn!

It's funny because we all had these wild scenarios for who our new head coach would be. I had this idea that we should hire Billick and Marvin Lewis could be his DC but that obviously won't happen.

In fact Billick, Gruden and Cohwer have not been interviewed by anyone that we know.

With all our speculation and how we wanted things to be basically it's just more of the same.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

It has become pretty clear that several teams were simply unwilling to give a brand new coach a lucrative contract in this uncertain labor environment. In some ways, it might actually be a good thing that Fisher has only one more year on his deal and won't be extended unless he has a great season. It should allow the Titans to cruise through this rough period and make the important decision of who should be coach in a much more stable environment.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Maybe Fisher and Lewis will both be fired after the 2011 season and then they can hire Billick with Lewis as our DC. :brow:

I can still dream.

If it does happen that we don't resign fisher i want a coach who will shake things up and let players know that they better produce or hit the road. Fisher has been too soft but in a contract year coming off a losing season Fisher will be more like that.

Historically we see little evidence of that. We had the 2 losing seasons in 04 and 05 and still were limp to begin the 06 season. This group of players need someone to kick their arses. Washburn can do that hire him as HC!

4. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

Everyone outside Tennessee absolutely loves Fisher... If he was fired and available to coach their team they would jump on him like a bunch of crazy people...

So I wonder... Why do we want to let go a coach that everyone else wants?

Normally, I tend to look at Denver in this situation. Since they fired Shanahan what did they accomplished??

- lost a Franchise QB in Jay Cutler
    - lost one of best receivers of the game in Brandon Marshall
    - hired one of the most promising OC as head coach just to have him fired after two unsuccessful seasons.
    - after these two seasons they have to start all over again.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Jeff Fisher has just 4 more regular season wins and a worse playoff record (5-3 vs. 2-4 (2-2 without their SB run)) over the last 8 years.

But yeah you're right, statistically he's half a game better than Fox per year in the regular season...

6. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Because he is not getting results like he should be. Just because another team would like him doesn't have any bearing on his situation in Tennessee. Jeff has done an ample amount over the last two seasons to show why he should be fired.

Well they havn't gotten to the playoffs which was getting to be pretty par for the coarse when they had Shanahan.

I would debate wither Cutler really qualifies has a franchise QB. He has one playoff birth in five season and turns the ball over more then any QB I've seen in a while.
    I agree on this one but McDaniels sucking != a reason to keep Shanahan
    The firing of Mike Shanahan doesn't have any effect on the fact that JM was one of the worse talent evaluators I have ever seen in NFL history. When you move on from a coach you need to find the right person to step in. However, the fear that you could get someone bad should never be a reason to keep someone.

What more does Fisher need to prove he cannot sustain his team as a post season contender. Fisher is 5-6 in the playoffs and if you take out his self admitted "miracle'' then his record goes to 2-7. That alone should be reason enough to fire him.

That being said it was the right move to keep him this year and I hope he is retained next season because that would mean we would have had some type of deep playoff run in 2011. Barring that though I hope Mike Zimmer wants to come in and bring Marvin Lewis over with him because I think we really need a new coach.

7. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

hmmmmmmm... ummm... uhhh... errr... I, I don't think that's entirely true

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

You can say the exact same thing for the other 19 coaches that didn't get to the playoffs. What are you gonna do?? Have 20 teams fire 20 coaches every season??

Maybe, but I'm sure the Titans and many other teams wouldn't mind having him as their QB.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Really? Seems to me that getting the team to draft Tebow 25th was one of the best moves they could have ever made. JM never had the opportunity to enjoy the fruits of that pick but it was a damn good pick.

JM sucked as a coach because he thought you could spread the field and throw it without much regard to TOP or a running game. He needed to be more like Jeff Fisher or John Fox.

10. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

That's the perception I get out there from the media... and I'm not the only one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar