Kendall Wright and drafting BPA

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by UrbanLegend3, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Because I'm a loser who has no life I was watching random 2012 draft videos on youtube and had kind of an epiphany. I was among those on this board who was extremely pissed when we "wasted" our #20 pick on a position that I didn't feel was a need. I saw Kendall Wright as a luxury pick who would not help us much and was dying for us to draft a C (Costanzo) which I saw as a position of great need. Fast forward to today and Kendall Wright is not only a great player for us but a true playmaker/difference-maker without whom we'd have lost a few of our games. We also now have what we believe is our Center of the future in Schwenke. The lesson here? Always draft the best player available regardless of your need. You can never have enough dynamic football players on your team. Agree or disagree?

2. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

agree

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

disagree overall. But totally agree early (round 1 and 2ish) when difference makers are around.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Agree to a point. Obviously if you have your franchise QB and the best player on your board in the 1st round is a QB you probably should take the next highest ranked player. You need to get production out of the picks and taking a QB in that situation would not help you at all cause he wouldn't play.

Also, if it just happens that the same position is ranked highest on your board every round when it comes to your pick, you obviously aren't going to take the same position with every pick even if they're the BPA. So using Kendall as the example, we weren't going to take another WR in the 2nd round, unless you're extremely thin at that position.

But I do agree, you do take the BPA about 95% of the time. The above examples are the only two reasons i would see passing on the BPA, and Kendall is the perfect example of why you take the BPA.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

see and I say you got too fill your roster out with the later rounds. Taking a position of need that is say rated '6' makes more sense than taking a guy rated '6.2' at a position you are more solid in.

JMHO

6. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Matt Millen became a punchline for this....

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Just because it didn't work for Millen doesn't mean the philosophy is wrong. It means Millen's ratings were wrong.

BPA will never work if the player you take isn't actually the BPA.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. peterm211

peterm211 Starter

We didn't do that for our first round pick this year. Star was still on the board.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Teams don't get the luxury of judging BPA after the fact. Pointless to talk about it in those terms.

10. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

The reason we along with a bunch of other teams passed on Star was we were afraid of the heart issue. Before the heart problem came up the kid was a top 5 pick and there's no way he's even there for us to pass on him. Clearly we knew we had a need at DT cause we brought Sammie Hill in so had Star been healthy he might have been the pick. On the flip side Chance was at the time considered to be a higher rated player than Star so in a way choosing Chance over Star would still have been going BPA. Hindsight is of course 20-20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar