Kendall Wright and drafting BPA

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by UrbanLegend3, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I actually think we went into the draft with a BPA focus. The Justin Hunter pick is a clear indicator of this. WR at this point was not a position of need and there were many positions we could have addressed but instead we move up and take a dynamic, proven receiver with #1 potential and it's worked out well so far for us. Zaviar Gooden hasn't seen the field much but since backer was actually considered a position of strength for us clearly they took him because they had him rated highly . Schwenke was probably BPA too because at the time it seemed we were content with Velasco. I think this was a great draft for us and going BPA was a huge component of it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

100% agree, you kidding...

go back over the years to those pre-draft threads and polls and just look at my posts. Draft the best damn player on the board...REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING!

i remember when we drafted Wright, I was mad not b/c we went WR, but rather b/c I really thought his stats and play was a product of RG3 and that open offense at Baylor. i'm very happy how far he's come along, extremely promising indeed...

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Kendall Wright has inspired me to buy those stupid expensive vapor jet receiving gloves.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

When we drafted Wright, I wasn't disappointed just shocked.

I did identify receiver as a need for us but I just didn't expect us to address it with our first pick.

I did question the Wright pick in particular because, although I really liked him, I didn't foresee drafting a slot receiver with the 21st overall pick.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

No, he has a valid point. No guard is worth a top-ten pick. Ever.

We screwed the pooch on that one.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Millen became a punchline for repeadly taking a WR no matter what else was available.

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

He took 3 receivers in 8 years...

He took Charles Rogers, who was doing well as a rookie (22 catches, 3 TD's in his first 5 games), then broke his clavicle in a freak injury in practice, then broke it again, then became a drug addict. Unlucky pick.

He then took Mike Williams, who was a terrible pick.

He then took Calvin Johnson, who is arguably the greatest ever.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...st-draft-picks-of-the-matt-millen-era/page/11

'It was unfathomable that two of the three Williamses could end up teammates, but that's what happened in 2005 when the tenth overall selection in the draft belonged to the receiver-happy Detroit Lions'

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/draft-primer-those-shiny-wide-receivers/2454/

'The Lions committed an unprecedented personnel sin by drafting four – count 'em, FOUR – wide receivers with Top 10 first round picks over a five year span!

2003 - Charles Rogers (2nd overall pick)
    2004 - Roy Williams (7th pick)
    2005 - Mike Williams (10th pick)
    2007 - Calvin Johnson (2nd pick)

Millen obviously never read Einstein's definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/61244-the-worst-decisions-of-the-matt-millen-era

'Millen decided to go after what he loves most, wide receivers.'

9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Crap. I forgot about Roy Williams. He was good, too.

The thing that killed Millen is that all of his non-receiver picks were terrible.

10. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

cam you imagine if millen hit on all those wr picks. that offense would be unstoppable

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar