Kerry Collins Question

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Don, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

Jogging the memory banks of some of the board faithful here ...

When KC was with the Panthers, he had some success. Not very successful with the Saints if I remember. When he was with the Giants, he had some success and went to the Big Dance. Had lots of yards in the black hole too.

When he was having good years, were any of those utilizing three-step drops? Without checking it seems he had his success on five-step drops, almost exclusively.

Can anyone verify, and why does Chow seem to have a strong dislike for the five step drop?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Just my 2ยข but I think the goal of the three-step was to get the ball out of the backfield and save McNair the hits. It produces a shorter, higher-percentage passing game which has the same impact as the run. The difference is that a three-yard pass, in theory, could go 80 yards. It also keeps the S and LB honest in the run game and creates some contrast to open up some deep opportunities.

You make a good point. Collins appears better suited for the longer passing game. McNair seemed to do better not having to make his reads as quickly either. Volek certainly didn't seem to fit the mold. I'm not sure Young's strength is this type of passing game as deeper routes would probably open up more scrambling opportunities.

That's why I think Chow will begin adjusting the offense more and more to Young's strengths in time.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

So out of 4 possible quarterbacks, we haven't had one suited for the offense. Genius.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

so what we need is a noodle armed sissy-boy to run Chows dump and done O.

I suggest the ultimate needle armed sissy-boy QB ever - Danny Wuerffel. I'm sure he is available.

5. Broken Record

Tim Couch would be another good candidate.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

haha. Tim Couch! I remember how I was like, "Anybody but gay Tim Couch!" NOOOOOO!!!"

Right now, I say sign him! We did consider him, remember?

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

The Panthers were in a pretty week division that season.

9 of the games they played the team had a 6-10 or worst records including playing the 3-13 Falcons 2x, 3-13 Saints 2x, and the Ravens 4-12. Also that year Beuerline went 3-1 as a starter for an injured Collins. Beuerline started against the 12-4 49ers, the 9-7 jaguars, the 8-8 Oilers and the 6-10 Saints. Collins really only played against 4 quality teams, two games of which the Panthers lost. In the two losses Collins went 31/64 48% 403 Yards 0 TDs 4 INTs. The best WR on the team came in at 58 Receptions and only 808 yards.

The Panthers had the 4th most running plays in the NFL and were 24th (of 30 teams) in passing attempts.

The Panther's D allowed the second fewest points that season and with there record the Panthers had a bye in the playoffs. They did beat the Cowboys but Ackman had 3 picks while Collins only threw for 100 yards the entire game.

The 96 Panthers relied on clock management and the run game and sprinkled in the pass to keep the other team honest. It is not really the drop that helps Collins it is a solid run game which we currently do not have.

8. Broken Record

Yeah, didn't we bring him through this summer to take a look? Little Timmy threw for 900,000 yards or something at Kentucky. Of course 899,978 of those were YAC.

9. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

But what happened to the notion that Chow would create a unique and powerful scheme for the players he actually has on the roster?

10. Collins isn't any more suited to Chow's offense than Volek was in terms of their successful playing style. Both are at their best throwing the ball down the field.

The issue, though, is the alternatives. Collins was clearly the best QB available and he had not only tons of NFL experience but leadership credentials. So I think they were willing to take the poor fit offensively since he wasn't going to be a long term solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar