Kevin Mawae on Vince Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

for a center to say that about his Quarterback, it's legit. I've read and heard interviews with Mawae throughout the pre-season and regular season... He's always defended and sugar coated Young's poor performance.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

He's right, dude got a lot to learn.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The comments are not flattering. Vince was full of himself a bit after that fine rookie season and had a bad year. But most players are capable of a bad year and let's hope that's what it was.

Vince's pride can motivate him next year to get better but we know that players don't automatically get better with age and experience. I think he can do it because he has the tools.

He has 2 great models to follow in garrard and mcnabb.

Garrard 18tds..3 ints

Mcnabb 19tds...7 ints

Mcnabb has one of the best TD to int ratios in nfl history. That's the model to follow. Vince is the a better runner when healthy so if he can develop to that level anything is possible for out team..

Note that neither mcnabb or garrard has great WRs..

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Interesting stats that I looked at, through their first two seasons:

Mike Vick 27 TDs and 17 turnovers,
    Vince Young 31 TDs and 33 turnovers.

no one can argue that either has an advantage with offensive weapons.

5. DLS33

DLS33 Guest

Lighten up on our second year QB guys, it takes a QB at least 3 solid years of learning to become an elite QB. Yes he has some maturity issues that need to be addressed, but other than that he will be fine. And Vince is harder on himself than any person in the media, or any of us for that matter. He knows what needs to be done. When Vince gets some weapons around him he will produce..

6. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Here's what Mawae had to say:

“He’s got to be committed to becoming an NFL quarterback. What I mean by that is it’s not enough to be an athlete running around any more. He’s got to become a student of the game, be able to know our game plan inside and out so if things don’t go the way he thinks they go, he has the ability to go in there and say, ‘Hey, we should run this’ or ‘I am going to call this play’ or that kind of thing.

“We’ve had some issues and situations where the wrong personnel were in the huddle or we called the wrong formation or a different play, and that happens with a young quarterback. But we need a quarterback who understands what’s going on and knows; is a student of the game. He’d say, ‘Well hey, we can’t run that play out of this personnel or that play out of this formation, this is what we are going to run because this is what we have in the huddle.’ So many times this year we had those kind of things pop up.

“We’re still young in so many areas that when things happen there are guys that just didn’t know. So much of being a football player is being a trained puppet, and when somebody tells you something you just go do it. So it doesn’t all go on the quarterback. But when your quarterback is a better student of the game, then it definitely makes a bigger difference.

“(Left tackle) Michael Roos is a smart player, when he hears a formation and a play call that doesn’t match up, it’s, ‘Hey, we can’t run that play,’ or whatever. That’s taken place throughout the season as well. There are things you just know we don’t have in the game plan. It helps when the quarterback is more in tune with the game itself and things like that.

“Next year it’s going to be better because the game is going to slow down for him, it’s going to be a lot different, he’s going to understand how teams are playing against him, and things like that. More than anything we need to get some more tools to help him out, a big play receiver and things like that. There is so much more than can make this team better, and I am sure Mike Reinfeldt and Jeff Fisher are going to do that for us.”

7. CNYTitanFan

CNYTitanFan Guest

Sounds like we could use him as a coach, someday, after he retires.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing Sunshine. Is there more about LW or the receivers?

9. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

The only thing I recall is what I initially posted he said about LenDale, plus an exchange he and Wycheck had.

Wycheck said McNair didn't wear a wristband as Vince does, and said other teammates weren't shy about correcting/restating McNair's call if he said it wrong. I believe that was what prompted Mawae to say what he did about Roos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar