Kevin Mawae: Vince Young is not a leader

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Win, whoever said they wanted a good ol' boy at QB?

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Based on my opinion or Mawae's? I'd say he knows first-hand how Young prepared.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:grrhee: Nice one.

In honesty, I'd take an apology or acknowledgment of the Titan fanbase via Tweet or anything. Just some type of "I screwed up, I like being a Titan, I plan to refocus my dedication on my profession." We don't even get that. :stunned:

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

In reference to all the leadership talk. Read OP.

From 2006 to 2009, yes. 2010? I was specifically talking about his games this season. But anyway, what's Mawae's opinion?

Since this seems to be coming full circle, Mawae mentioned Moon, Collins, Testaverde, and Pennington, yes even Chad frickin' Pennington as "field generals" and "leaders on the field". Moon I get. Collins, Testaverde, and Pennington? This is the leadership Young needs to aspire to?

I wish we still had Mawae. He is/was a consummate pro. He is/was a leader. If we still had him this season, there's a good chance Vince would not have been injured, and all this drama wouldn't exist. Still, I think I would rather cling to my own opinions about leadership and what it takes to be a good NFL QB.

Chad frickin' Pennington...

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

That may be true, however, if that's in reference to the bad exchange during the Jaguars' game on MNF, VY could have simply fallen on the ball. He wasn't injured because Mawae retired. He was injured because he tried to pick up his fumble rather than fall on it. It was poor judgement. VY got hurt because VY made a stupid mistake. I'm so sick of reading how it's EVERYBODY'S fault except for VY.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He didn't say "great QBs" but pointed to their leadership and knowledge of the game. They all made everyone else on the team want to play better. Why can't he put Pennington in this group?

I don't see how you can give Mawae credit for his leadership and then say his commented about Young doesn't hold water.

Young is showing LESS leadership in 2010 than he did in '09, IMO.

7. amy

amy Starter

He's 27 years old. At what age do you suspect he will grow out of it? We have soldiers who are 18 years old getting shot at and not running. Vince is a whiny cry baby and likely will always be one, especially now that Papa Bud has given him free rein to blame everyone else for his mistakes.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

He was on the ground trying to scoop the ball up when he got hit. And it was a bad snap. One player pinned his leg down while another twisted him around. Wow, Vince Young is a real for getting hurt on that play. :rolleyes: Criticizing him for trying to make the most out of a busted play is one of the most asinine things I've read on this board. There's a lot of criticism that Young fully deserves. Read it here everyday, but this isn't one of them.

And I'm not blaming Mawae. I'm giving him credit. We had very few bad snaps with him playing center. There's a lot of things that could have prevented Young from getting injured on that play. One of them is a good snap. Furthermore, if I was going to blame someone for Mawae retiring, it wouldn't be Mawae. He tried like hell to get a job this season, and he can STILL play. He simply got blackballed as the NFLPA president.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Exactly, who is he talk about leaders when he can't even get on the practice squad anywhere in the league.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Because he cited three bona fide losers as having leadership qualities that Young supposedly needs.

In case you didn't notice, Kerry Collins has quit on his team before. Young gets criticized for not being a leader.

Chad Pennington gets injured if he gets hit by a stray 2mph wind. Young gets criticized.

Pennington has also been extremely average his entire career, but he really can't help it because he learned from King Average himself, Vinny "Interceptaverde" Testaverde. Young could probably never put up turnover numbers like Testaverde even if he tried, but Young gets criticized.

If your "leadership" qualities aren't producing results, then you're not a good leader. Young is a bona fide winner. You can say he hasn't prepared. You can say he isn't a leader. You won't see your opinion having any substance when he's playing, however. He'll make plays. The guys playing around him will make plays.

There are many different approaches to leadership, but a good leader will always capture the loyalty of his men, and this should say all you need to know about Young as a leader:

[​IMG]

Young is showing less maturity than he did in '09 - I could agree to that. If his immaturity leads us to a headcoach that can actually win a Superbowl, I'll applaud his immaturity too. A lot of history's greatest leaders found themselves cross with authority. It seems a lot of you guys would try to spin George Patton into a crybaby or a coward. -That calls for a disclaimer *George Patton is not Vince Young. Lets try to stick to the point.*

I'll pull for whoever we have on the field, even Fisher and Collins. If they're wearing two-tone blue, I want them to succeed. But I won't hold back my opinions on this team needing to improve. I think most of us share a similar point of view on this. However, I think some of us are emotional over Vince's little show he put on. Yes, it was upsetting, but it's time to look at the big picture with our eyes and not our hurt feelings. What is going to benefit the Titans?

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar