Kiper predicts offensive ROY for britt!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Not only would Britt need to become a starter early in the season beating out established NFL WR's in Gage and Wash, but he'd have to take catches away from them, CJ, and our TE position. Scaife and CJ were 1 and 2 in terms of most catches last year with BJones 3rd. With ANOTHER pass catching weapon at TE (Cook)...and we like to throw it to the TE's...it's hard to see how Britt could come up with 60-70 catches...and even that might not be enough.

We spend a lot of draft value on our TE position. I doubt we will be 3-4 deep at TE and run a single TE formation a majority of the time.

Gut

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Britt can run routes.

I think he will be the target very often in the redzone.

CJ,White,Bo,Crumpler,Cook,Nate,Gage,Britt i dont see any reason why we cannot score a TD in the redzone almost every time.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Let's see...Ayers is 270+lbs, slow (4.9), has no good pass rushing stats for a rush OLB, and is too slow to cover anyone and has almost no experience playing zone. His best attribute is as a run defender.

Dumervil was a pass rushing terror coming out of college. I think his last year he led the league in sacks, tackles for loss and forced fumbles! He's not fast per se but much faster at 4.75 than Ayers and has the production (and a variety of pass rush moves) to get the job done. He also had about 20 sacks over his first 2 years.

Which one would you play on the weak side to pass rush and which would you play strong side to stop the run?

So would you rush 5 guys (3 down and Ayers and Dumervil) most of the time...or rush Ayers (a run defender) and have Dumervil (a pass rusher) in coverage 75% of the time?

Gut

4. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

McFadden battled turf toe all of last season just about, Deuce, so he didn't really play up to potential.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Yeah, it's way too early to call McFadden a bust. He was hurt all year. Calvin Johnson didn't exactly have a dominant rookie season because he was hurt all year, but he busted out in year 2. Wait until after this season to call McFadden a bust.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm not a Kiper fan, and I highly doubt Britt will make ROY in our offense - but his basic premise is right... Britt has the key skills that tend to predict a successful transition to the pros.

It's a little hard to tell since most of the film doesn't show his initial steps, but to run good routes you have to get off the line well. From all I've read this is what he does best - either beating the bump & run, or taking the right angle to get the DB out of position. The other keys are making a clean, quick cut and getting the proper depth. I have seen several clips that show he's got a nice burst coming out of a cut that gives him separation even in tight coverage. I've seen even more clips of him finding the perfect seam down the middle to where th LB is out of the play and the S is a step too late. That's good route running, and something many college WRs aren't asked to do.

I agree with your 1st point - most young WRs struggle because in the pros you don't have 5 yards of space to make the catch. He uses his frame to get position and once he's got that there's not much a DB can do. I disagree about VY - most of the balls Britt had to reel in were thrown in the dirt or way too high. He's perfect for an inaccurate passer. I'm not sure that's going to matter, though... the clock is ticking on VY.

Britt should be a huge improvement for us. ROY is a stretch - he's still a rookie and will have to really impress to get onto the field regularly before November. We have more 2 WR sets than 3. We're still going to be run-first, so a 500 yard rookie season would be great but isn't ROY material. He's going to be great for us, though.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut i'm not the GM of the broncos i was an advocate for us drafting ayers at 30 in our system. I don't have to justify what denver did by drafting ayers at 18 in an entirely different system.

The 40 time you keep bringing up is lame. It was a slow combine tyson jackson ran a 5.00. Ayers was timed in on campus workouts at 4.77 before the combine and ran the 100 meters in high school. He is not slow.

Kiper picked ayers for defensive ROY i did not. Defensive ROY is a no brainer. Aaron curry close the book! Curry will play from minute one in a position he has always played and will get 100 tackles.

I do think ayers will be on the all rookie team and will be a good player for denver.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Moreno is the most likely offensive ROY because he will start and carry the ball 300 times. Last year despite having nobody to run the ball the broncos finished 2nd in average yards per rush. 5.0.

Even if moreno is nothing more than an average garden variety RB(see m. lynch) he can get 1200+ yards and 8 Tds rushing.

As for mel kiper i think he does a good job. He would make a better GM than 6-7 of the guys out there. Maybe more, maybe half the GMs. Better than matt millen that's for sure. Kiper doesn't have to make GM decisions though he just ranks guys. It's different.

He's been doing this for a long time and has quite a few people helping him.

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think everyone will hear Kiper say something pleasing once in their lives.

Once.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUpOVHKK-U&feature=related

And this is that time. This may soften a few minds a little bit, at least.

I do think it's entirely possibly that Britt comes in and has a great camp and while not immediately, but still, rather quickly supplants Gage as a starter.

Britt's blocking alone will probably get him on the field more on first and second down, when the Titans are more inclined to run it anyway. This is the opening that allows Mel to possibly be right.

Washington will be on the field almost all the time so teams will respect the deep ball. On paper, who does it make more sense to have out there as well? I say the better blocker. Gage will start for 4-6 weeks, probably, then the Titans will start to force the issue, as long as Britt keeps practicing hard and "getting it."

Kiper's crazy, but given the vast number of opinions he has, he's bound to be right on occasion. I seldom agree with him, but I do like his passion. And on also rare occasions, his insight can be spot on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar