Knowing what we now know: Would you/will you want your kids to play football?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by nickmsmith, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. nickmsmith

Earl Campbell was the furthest thing from that..

"Earl Campbell has spent years in a wheelchair, unable to rely upon the legs that once carried him farther and faster than all but a few other athletes on the planet.
    Other players from the NFL's not-so-distant past consider the former Houston Oilers running back to be one of the lucky ones. "

A sport that you play for 10-15 years isn't worth the potential of ruining everything from age 30-80, IMO.

Seeing my kids grow up healthy is worth more to me than seeing them play a sport I used to love.

Me, personally, I'd rather them play a sport that makes sure you're in good shape, and a sport that you can play later on in life. Not many people in their 30s (non-pro) going out and playing backyard football.. but all kinds of basketball leagues.

#2 nickmsmith, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

They need to remove helmets entirely. Tough decision but that's the issue. Gotta go with a more rugby approach.

4. rekirts

rekirts Starter

probably not.

though at a young age at relatively slow speeds i wouldn't really be worried.

but once you get in hs you start to get risky.

5. nickmsmith

I like the idea, honestly. but I think it's gotten too far for that, and the general populace is too stupid to realize that it will help, and not hurt the issue. They think helmets actually do something to stop brain injuries, which it may, only slightly.

People would certainly play smarter if they had no helmets, but you'd see a lot more teeth knocked out, black eyes, etc.

6. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Taking away helmets would surely end up with a dead person on a field

What they gonna play half speed with no helmets? What about all those times where a player is going for a perfect form tackle then unexpectedly the opposition moves and it's a fast as hell head to head or shoulder pads to head and the dreads brain explodes

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I only have one son, I have ZERO issues with him playing football (his interest is already low though at 8 years old, don't think that's growing too much).
    My biggest reason for saying that, is I know with my genes and thus his, he's got no shot at going pro and having a career out of it.

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I actually think removing helmets would limit the head injuries but there would definitely be a really dangerous adjustment period. Everyone of these guys has learned to play with and use the helmet. Starting from scratch without helmets would change the overall mentality.
    The bigger issue is that the game is inherently dangerous.

9. nickmsmith

good point. It would have to make the game slower, and people would have to play smarter.

10. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Well, I have been saying that the NFL as we know it will be gone in 20 years...this will be a part of it demise. So far they have been able to buy off any HUGE payouts and lawsuits....all it will take is for a player to be paralyzed again and or a on field death. Also, no doubt in my mind the NFL does a half a$$ job of testing for HGH and Steroids...do real testing and actually punish those caught with YEARS of probation instead of a few game checks....do that and within a few years we would see NORMAL sized humans playing instead of ROID heads like JJ Watt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar