Knowing what we now know: Would you/will you want your kids to play football?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by nickmsmith, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The Luke Kuechly play should be seen by everyone

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I've asked the same questions, What I've heard is that the risks are absolutely obvious with MMA/boxing. They know they are getting their brains rattled.

Also, a big part is that football is a money monster, and kids everywhere are playing it. Boxing is mostly dead. You can get a lot more out of suing the NFL.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If I ever have kids, which I won't, I would have a more serious discussion with them then my parents did with me. Due in part to how much more we know regarding brain damage.

But I mean, my shoulder has hurt for my entire lifetime from playing football. Was it worth playing football in junior high and high school for a lifetime of hurting? Probably not, but I can't say I didn't enjoy a lot of football and it did provide an avenue for "safer" aggression when I was younger.

4. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

5. RealestWhiteBoy

RealestWhiteBoy World Champion

I've wondered the same thing.

With boxing, I'm not sure who you would sue? You aren't contracted to any company or league, I don't think? Everyone is basically an independent contractor fight-to-fight? Basically, just working for yourself with agents working out contracts with promotion companies? Seems like a weird structure.

With MMA, the larger leagues like UFC and Bellator could be opened up for NFL-type lawsuits ... but they've been pretty proactive on their end. So, I think that is going to close a lot of doors for lawsuits. They have Olympic drug testing, strict guidelines regarding concussions, strict enforcement, and have even terminated fight contracts of very profitable fighters based on previous concussions (trying to encourage them to not fight anymore and offering them alternative jobs). However, they are in court with at least one NFL-type lawsuit, because they opted not to enforce parts of their drug screens on Brock Lesnar prior to his fight in 2016, and then he tested dirty. So, his opponent is suing Brock, Dana White, UFC, and the athletic commission for their failure to properly protect him. We will see how that works out.

I'm surprised there isn't more lawsuits against WWE for their prior concussions. Now, their wrestlers get huge fines if they hit each other in the head with a weapon. But throughout the 90's, they use to slaughter each other every week with chairs and "kendo sticks" and stuff. Big Show (The Giant from WCW) says that when he was learning to wrestle WCW trainers even used to give him harsh punishments because he would put his hands up to cushion chair shots to his head, they use to tell him "that's a very dangerous way to take a chair shot, because you might hurt a finger, you want to take it on the forehead". hahaha

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. nickmsmith

being a professional wrestler is borderline suicidal behavior, especially the way it was in the 90s, when hardcore wrestling became mainstream.

That was the most entertaining time to watch, as a fan. A lot more real risk involved.

7. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

If you ever have kids

Dawg ain't you like 87

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Boxing - I like your point about individual acceptance. It'd be weird to try and hold the people paying you accountable for your injuries during the fight they paid you for. As a whole, it would be very case by case I guess, but probably the most dangerous for head injuries.

MMA - I bet there's an agreement in the contracts about possible injuries and who's liable but I think long term, this sport won't be as dangerous for HEAD injuries. I say this because there are so many different ways to win and the absolute moment a ref thinks a fighter is knocked silly, they stop the fight. No repeated head trauma within the same short amount of time.

WWE - I know there was a law suit about steroids, but I don't know all the specifics on that one. The newer contracts probably have liabilities built in where they can't sue the owners. The old school guys died at such a fast rate that I'm not sure how much "living proof" they'd be able to find, at least for head injuries. All the other injuries may have gotten the compensation dictated in whatever contracts they've had over the years.

9. nickmsmith

Yeah, with WWE, brain injuries are just a part of the issue. Drug abuse is the big problem. These people beat themselves up, 200 something days per year. They get hooked on pain pills, and every other drug in existence.

Humans just aren't built to go like that, for years on end.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

As much as I dislike it as a fan, probably for the best then that WWE separated their roster into 2 different stables for that kind of purpose. My son and I just watched the "Smackdown" roster live a couple weeks ago. Lot of guys I don't know, but I haven't watched in a long time either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar