Knowing what we now know: Would you/will you want your kids to play football?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by nickmsmith, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

2. 10ACTyrant

10ACTyrant Starter

Please explain the logic in this.

If all kids don't play contact football, and then begin playing contact football their freshman year with other kids learning contact football, what is the extra risk of injury?

Everyone is on a level playing field and haven't already been subjected to years of impact on their adolescent frames/brains.

You gave yourself away with the "soften the kids" line.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

IMO kids need a year to get the hang of football before HS, it's a different game at HS level, going from nothing to getting your lights knocked out isn't something that's 2nd nature, your body needs some time to adjust

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. 10ACTyrant

10ACTyrant Starter

well i wasn't advocating going from flag to varsity football. there are JV/Freshmen leagues

5. JCBRAVE

Even frosh/jv ball is a different enough from not having any experience to injure inexperienced players

Middle school is the perfect age range for kids to learn the game before going to full on head cracking football, in my area middle school ball in toned down significantly to give these kids the needed reps while not risking their well being. Seemed to have found a good middle ground by removing some formations/plays

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

learning to take a hit is a thing. And you'll be teaching kids who are almost grown men how to safely tackle for the first time at age 15, you don't think there could be any negative consequences? And not to mention the dramatic impact it would have in the college/pro level.

And this is coming from me, who started this thread, who doesn't want my kids to play football at all.

If you're concerned with safety, it's best to not play football at all.

7. 10ACTyrant

10ACTyrant Starter

most coaches don't teach kids how to safely tackle

practically speaking, the game will change to something along the lines of what i've laid out. the participation rates will require it.

8. JCBRAVE

If this is true those coaches jobs should be taken

Showing players how to safety tackle should be something taught every day

9. JCBRAVE

bump

CTE scaring another player into an early retirement..
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...fensive-lineman-john-urschel-retires-abruptly
    this is the nerdy guy from the Bose commercial

#69 JCBRAVE, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar