KR option: Ted Ginn?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This is just conjecture on my part, so please don't take it as anything more than that.

According to PFT, the Dolphins are shopping Ted Ginn. Source

My guess is that he could be had for a 5th round pick and maybe even less. He's clearly worn out his welcome in Miami and he's never going to develop into anything more than Troy Williamson at WR.

What he can do, however, is return kicks. The guy is at the same level as Devin Hester, Dante Hall (in his prime) and, yes, even Pacman. Don't believe me? Watch this. Ginn

We all know that the Titans' kick return game was brutal last season. Ryan Mouton is very clearly not the answer, nor are any of the other scrubs the team put back there.

I would love to see the team bring in Ginn to be a KR and PR. Forget using him at WR (except maybe in formations that require speed, but even then he'll probably still just drop the ball). I doubt it will happen, but it would be nice to see.

The Titans were a much better team when Pacman was returning kicks for TDs, or at least great field position. Heck, the team was much better when Chris Carr was producing consistently solid returns. Field position is very important, especially for a team like the Titans that has so few (read: one) big play threats.

The main impediment here is probably his contract. Ginn was a high pick (9th overall, I think) and there's a good chance he's due to earn more money than you would want to pay a KR. It is an uncapped year, though, and he could always be cut if the cap returns.

Thoughts about Ginn? Thoughts about the Titans' return game in general? We all agree that the return game needs to be improved, right?

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Kasevaharn > Ginn Jr.

Only kidding... I don't know what the deal is with this team but they do not seem interested in signing free agents that people have actually heard of before. It seems that special teams are highly disregarded as well. I wouldn't expect us to pick him up, but would be okay with it because its definitely an upgrade.

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I just read that myself. It jumped out at me too. He'd totally be worth a 5th. As you mentioned, we wouldn't need him to play WR so we wouldn't be asking a lot out of this kid. He would definitely upgrade the situation.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

His contract can't be too much to take on at this point. He was likely paid the bulk of it throughout his first three seasons. I don't think his learning disability is much of an issue either, but something obviously isn't clicking for him in Miami. Doesn't take much to know how to return kicks, you either have it or you don't. I'd have him for a 5th, knowing when the Titans start with good field position they win.

Imagine what damage C.J. could do when only playing on 50 yard fields. Man, it would be nuts if we could always be near the 50-yard line or closer because of our improved return game Ginn could build.

5. savage99ss

savage99ss Starter

I wish the FO would jump on this, then we could address other need via draft.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Wouldn't mind Teddy. Problem is, I think CJ and Teddy hate each other.

Also what would they want? I wouldn't give more than a 3rd.

7. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Don't know why but that was funny to me for some reason (who could hate CJ!?).

I honestly think I'd rather have someone in the draft with our 5th round pick. Someone like Trindin Holliday, Javier Arenas, or Jacoby Ford. They're all young and moldable players, and 2 of the 3 are probably faster than Ginn anyway.

8. reo

reo Starter

I might give up a late pick for him.... possibly....

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

The only person that you listed would be available in the 5th round would be Holliday. Ford and Arenas should be 3rd round selections.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

This move would make a lot of sense for us. Unless his contract is too big to pay for a returner then I say go get him. He'd definitely solidify our return game.

I can remember watching him play last year and it looked like he was finally getting it together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar