Kubiak looking for 'big-time improvement' on D

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<p><em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em></p> <p>INDIANAPOLIS -- The <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou" target="_new">Houston Texans</a> are not going to stand pat on offense, but it's clear their offseason priority is to fortify a defense that will be led by new coordinator Frank Bush.</p> <p>The Texans had the NFL's third-ranked offense and fourth-ranked passing offense in 2008, but were only 17th in points scored per game.</p> <p>They don't have a glaring need on offense, while the defense could use at least one addition to every unit -- a pass-rushing end, a beefier linebacker, upgrades at safety, an additional option opposite <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5535" target="_new">Dunta Robinson</a> at corner.</p> <p>"Our offense has made improvement all three years, and more so this past year than any," coach Gary Kubiak said. "I think Kyle [Shanahan] has done a great job, getting Alex [Gibbs] to come with us has been a huge benefit to our offensive coaching staff and our offensive football team. We've made some strides there. We feel good about where we're at.</p> <p>"Can we get better? You bet. We can definitely get better. I think landing the young back [<a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11323" target="_new">Steve Slaton</a>] was huge for us last year and we were very fortunate there. I am not going to say we're set there and we're going to move on, that's not the case. We're going to try to get better on offense, but obviously we've got to make some big-time improvement on the defensive side of the ball."</p> <p> Some other snippets from Kubiak and Rick Smith's podium talks at the combine Friday:</p> <ul> <li>Kubiak made pass-rush help for <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9587" target="_new">Mario Williams</a> sound like priority No. 1: "Mario's career could improve drastically the more help we can get him up front, so that's a point of emphasis for our football team."</li> </ul> <ul> <li>While Williams has played mostly on the right side and <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9619" target="_new">DeMeco Ryans</a> is a middle linebacker, Kubiak wouldn't completely rule out moving them. Williams' flexibility means the team can consider more ends and "we're not going to eliminate looking at various linebackers because [Ryans] is a middle linebacker. We're going to try to get better athletically as a football team and then adjust from there."</li> </ul> <ul> <li>Smith said the Texans' players believe they are on the cusp of something big: "I think our guys understand how close we are. We obviously have to add a few players and improve ourselves in a couple of areas and protect the football a little better and keep our quarterback healthy. But I think our team understands now that they're capable of winning. And that's what's exciting."</li> </ul> <ul> <li>Kubiak likes the energy new strength and conditioning coach Ray Wright brings, but said the former assistant won't be employing any major philosophies in the team's programs.</li> </ul>

More...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

albert haynesworth

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

if Haynesworth becomes a Texan, i'm going to die of cathartic laughter

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

How much cap room do they have?

Gut

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Overpay for Albert. He'd probably be sitting out in at least 1 of the 2 games we see them in per season anyway.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Mario Williams and Haynesworth on the same line is NOT something I want to play twice a year! And it is unlikely he'd miss us...maybe 1 game if we're lucky. On the other hand, you KNOW he'd get up for facing the team that WOULDN'T PAY HIM!!!

Gut

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

A lot less since Dunta has been tagged.

8. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Thats all we need,i'm already sick of dealing with these Texan fans that come on here talking there idiotic smack as it is,adding AH to there arsenal might cause me to go into cardiac arrest....

9. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Psychodude aside.... The Texans are over 30 million above cap. However, no way we get Albert so don't even worry about it. He is obviously wanting too much money and we are going to continue to build through the draft and not go after the big pricey free agents. Especially one like him who could fall off the map so to speak after his big pay day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar