Kuharsky on Chris Henry

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Titans RB Henry doesn't hesitate to talk about hesitating

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky
    NASHVILLE - LenDale white looked excellent early. Chris Johnson's 66-yard run may have been the NFL's play of the weekend. Quinton Ganther reeled off 115 yards in the second half.
    The Titans ran very well against a bad St. Louis front missing a key piece in linebacker Will Witherspoon.
    A bit lost on the list was Chris Henry, who took nine carries 38 yards.
    The second-rounder from 2007 is a bit of a forgotten man in the conversation about the Titans' run game, unless it's the piece of the conversation that covers lack of instincts and vision.
    Henry can be hesitant, he admits. But he and his coaches say he's gotten much better.
    "I feel like I ran real well, the offensive line definitely created some opportunities I was able to capitalize off," he said. "(The hesitancy) is definitely something that I am working on and because of the fact I have good coaches, coaches that are patient, that understand everybody needs work, I've been able to work on it a lot - just being able to make that first read and hit it. Instead of making the first read and thinking, 'Oh, maybe there might be something else, maybe there might be another read available.'
    "I have been known to over-think things in general, you know I am a philosophy major. At times I've been known to do that. But I would say I am night and day with last year as far as being comfortable making the read, seeing the reads, sticking with the reads and getting whatever I can out of it."
    Offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger said new running back Earnest Byner's done good work helping Henry with his vision.
    "Chris has had a pretty good camp and done better than I thought he would after watching last year's film," Heimerdinger said. "I think Earnest has done a great job getting him on his path and reading stuff. He's a heavy load with some speed when he runs...
    "Last year I thought he was hesitant inside a little bit and he's not hesitant anymore, he''s hitting it, he's running the paths, doing what he has to do."
    Henry seemed an odd pick in the second round, 50th overall in 2007. The Titans had just taken White in the second round the year before, and while Henry had great workout numbers he had not played a lot at Arizona.
    His rookie year included a four-game suspension for a violation of the league's banned substance policy -- not involving a performance enhancer. He played in seven games, had 31 carries for 199 yards and a 3.8 average.
    The Titans selection of Johnson 24th overall this year seemed an indictment of Henry.
    It's too early to judge him. Outside team headquarters, there are not a lot of believers yet. Inside the building, indications are there are doubts from some.
    But he is in no trouble roster-wise. The Titans feel confident if something happens to White or Johnson that he can do good things with 10 or 12 touches in a game.
    The clock won't be ticking on him for at least another year. And with all due respect to Ganther, there is no one on the roster right now who could be a better third back for Tennessee.

More...

2. reo

reo Starter

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth...oesn-t-hesitate-to-talk-about-hesitating.html

Personally, I found this interesting:

That combined w/ Fisher's comments from his Sunday presser:

Henry's not in trouble.

3. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Now that I think about it, Henry and CJ could be OK if LenDale went elsewhere in FA.

4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

I really do hope we keep four backs. I don't know how likely that is but seeing Ganther run as hard as he was it would be a shame to have to release him. He also seems to get alot of respect from the guys and coaching staff.

5. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Well Ganther may get more reps in the next game, he already is in practice, so I would worry if I was chris henry. He's done nothing from what I read to be a lock.

#90 Camp Fodder

I wouldn't. The Titans don't cut 1st or 2nd round pick very quickly, especially not in their second year. See Ben Troupe.

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Still think we should package Henry with a draft pick and get a decent WR.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

why would anyone want him?

9. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I'm sure someone would want him.

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Ganther is like Ealy, a preseason wonder, who has had one good game, going against the backups of one of the worst defenses in the league. I seriously doubt they will keep him, coaches blow a lot of smoke. Plus Fisher's not going to tell the media that he's going to be cut.

I'd understand if they released him, kept him on standby in case Hall gets hurt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar