Kyle Orton, still a possibility?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by chamgel2, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

I understand what you are saying and I think Pennington is a great guy as a person. He went to school 15 minutes from where I sit posting this right now. Has parents that contribute to the community and I have never heard a bad thing about him. That being said, I think the difference in between Young having McNair and Pennington mentoring a rookie is different in my mind because Steve went on to the Ravens and was productive for another couple of seasons. I think McNair had a very strong relationship with Vince personally and Vince would have benefitted greatly from listening to but more importantly seeing Steve in action. I think letting Steve go when we did was probably the biggest personnel mistake I have ever seen this team make because of the timing. With Pennington, he wouldn't have that initial relationship and I just have serious doubts as to whether or not he could get through 3 games at this point much less 6 or 10. I believe without the personal connection and with the doubts of his durability at this point you would be taking a very high risk for a chance at a small reward. I just think that after witnessing the fragility of that shoulder last year that Chad may be done as a player and might just not want to face that reality yet.

Now the McNabb thing makes more sense to me but only if the price is reasonable.

2. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree with most everything you said, how I see Pennington would be a role like Mark Brunell has with the Jets. We would have a rookie, with Pennington backing him up and being his "eyes" on the sideline. Now, bringing in McNabb would obviously be better because he could start, I'm just saying that if we draft a rookie, and are prepared to make him our day 1 starter, I would love to have a veteran like Pennington on the sideline to help him.

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

No way. Only Palmer out of your list.

We're most likely looking to draft a franchise QB, so we need a quick fix who will buy time for the rookie. Palmer can probably help us compete for a playoff spot for 2 seasons. The rookie learns in the meantime and has two years of development when Palmer is done.

Orton is highly overrated and Pennington can't be counted on as a starter at this point.

3rd and VY for Palmer.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Chad Pennington, holy hell! Are you people seriously discussing him as an option? He can't even throw the ball 30-yards. And I hope you're not mentioning his name because he's from TN. Sure the guy is intelligent, but that's not enough. Some ability would be nice, don't you think?

As far as Orton goes, hes not leaving Denver til after the season starts or finishes. And that will all be based on his play early. Denver just said a few days ago how little Tebow was able to pick up in year-1.

5. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I don't think anyone is mentioning Pennington as an option to come in as a starter, if they are I would have to agree and be 100% against it.

6. JCBRAVE

So you'd like to see the depth chart look like

Rookie QB
    Pennington
    Smith

???????

Did I get that right?

7. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Only IF they plan on starting the rookie QB from day 1....and that is a big IF...but you would have a veteran QB behind him that will likely sign for a small guaranteed salary, leaving us plenty of money to upgrade the roster around the rookie.

8. JCBRAVE

It sounds okay on paper, but God forbid Pennington has to play more than a game or two. He's just too big a risk for me to get behind.

9. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

That would be a risk, without a doubt. But do you think the Jets are comfortable with Mark Brunell for more then a start or two? He's there to help Sanchez grow, which is the same role Pennington would have here in that case. The only other case where I would be comfortable with Pennington is if we traded for Flynn (I know they're saying he's not available). I think he would be a perfect back-up to him as well. But as you said, there is noway you can sign him and count on more then a start or two.

10. JCBRAVE

Getting Pennington simply to tutor the next QB just isn't enough for me. Chris Redman isn't in Atlanta to benefit Matt Ryan. Until last year, there was no one in Baltimore mentoring Joe Flacco. Having Pennington help get the rookie up to speed would be a nice luxury to have, but we need a veteran QB that can play. Don't we have a QB coach for the teaching?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar