Kyle Orton, still a possibility?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by chamgel2, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

I think Fox actually wants to see what he has before he decides on one or the other

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I hope they do get rid of Orton and we can get him for our 2nd round pick. Bashing Orton is simply stupid.

Here are the facts:
    Orton started for the Bears as a rookie and had a very good record for wins. So I guess he was a winner then but is a loser now. That is interesting since his rookie year he had a QB rating of only 60.

Now Orton basically is close to a top 10 QB statistically (I'll prove that later) but because he doesn't have a dominating defense and a dominating running game like he had with Chicago he is a loser. Consider these stats:

10th in total passing yards despite missing three games
    4th in passing yards per game (if he averaged his 281 for the three games Tebow played he ends up 4th in total passing yards.
    12th in yards per attempt
    Of the top 10 QBs in passing attempts (almost 500) Orton was tied for first with the fewest ints, 5th in QB rating.
    His QB rating was 87.5.

Brandon Lloyd was a scrub bust WR until he played with Orton at QB.
    His stats-1448 yards, 18.8 yards per catch, 11 TDs

Now if we had a QB who could throw those "gaudy" stats what does that mean to the offense? Well first of all CJ doesn't have to deal with 8 in the box anymore. Britt puts up Brandon Lloyd type stats and guys like Cook and Williams don't do too bad either (Gafney for God's sake had 65 receptions last year).

Another thing is Orton isn't some washed up 35 year old QB. He is only 28 years old. He comes in and produces right away. A rookie 2nd round pick if he ever comes close to the kind of passer Orton is (probably less than a 25% of that happening) it will take a number of years to reach that level. This isn't a joke but fact. A 2nd round pick historically is lucky to become a solid backup, just go and review historic drafts.

By getting Orton with a 2nd rounder we are free to pick the BPA in the first. We either get a stud defensive player or Green (that would be nice with a decent passing QB on board). Build a solid team around Orton and he would be a winner.

By the way which team ranked dead last in defense last year....Denver
    Denver was also 26th in the NFL rushing the ball.
    Denver was 7th in the NFL in passing.

So yea bash Orton who was about the only player on that pathetic team. In reality Orton was the last guy they should have benched. If Denver wants a 2nd round for Orton and the CBA is done so we can do that before the draft I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. krogers

krogers Camp Fodder

There is no way Chad Pennington will stay healthy. Even if he does stay healthy, he is not near as good as VY is so why get rid of a QB and get a worse QB?

If Kyle Orton is up for trade, I beleive he will be, for a 2nd or 3rd rounder is a possible answer. I think that he will be better with those picks than a unproven rookie QB that MIGHT work out or be a bust.

Vets:
    Orton
    Flynn
    Leinart- Many people have forgotten about him but bring him in and see what he got
    Dixon
    Eagles will want too much for Kolb and I have never been in impressed
    ( If Orton stays in Denver, I would like to see Tebow in TN)

Rookies
    Locker
    Mallet
    Newton
    Ponder
    Tyrod Taylor- Short, but could be next Mike Vick, who knows give him a shot

By the way- I am new to this forum so hello to all Titans fans

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Let me add to my Orton rant. If the Texans were willing to trade Matt Schaub to the Titans for a 2nd round pick would you take it?

Now anyone with any sense would jump on that deal but of course we would still have people arguing Schaub is crap. Well there is no way in hades the texans would do that.

Orton is actually very similar to Schaub.

5. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

but is it worth giving up a second when the draft is so deep in defensive postions that we could easily fill one of our big needs in the second round of this draft?? i dont know all the stats but i know one thing....he got beat out by tebow...plain and simple

on the other hand i dont know all the stats either ut vy had dominate stats when he was starting for us too and he is our best chance at competing while giving out rookie a chance to learn the offense

vy knows the offense while the players too and with a new coach who knows? on the other hand they said he was dealt with but he is still on the team so who knows what is really going to happen he may be back he may not...

just answer this one for me

why give up a 2nd round pick for a qb who put up good stats in a passing offense? and why put up so many stats that you know titans had the NUMBER 1 offense when vy was playing with us so your saying isnt that big of deal from the proof that vy was good when he was here too and it simply means this.....giving up a second when we have a chance at upgrading out team would be a terrible idea anyways...

this draft is so deep that we can get starter talent in the second or 3rd round easily..if anything trade back and pick up extra picks....either draft gabbert or newton at 8th and make them the starter from day one...or trade back get mallet or locker and some extra picks to address other needs

you guys can put up stats all day but so wont all the vy fans that still think he might be on the team and i am on of them because until the day that he is release....he is considered on the team so we can talk about him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar