Lair

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Puck, Sep 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxPKXfRRNAY"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fxPKXfRRNAY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

This guy seems to do fine.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah, you have to think that the controls aren't entirely screwed
    but still, he shows that when you get excited and get a little carried away, the controls will let loose on you; critic reviews claim that controls become most frustrating in the heat of battle when action gets up close and personal

my point in this whole sixaxis ordeal, is that the game does not allow you to turn off the controls and use regular analog control

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I still haven't played far into this game, but my recommendation would be: Rental.

Personally, I've grasped the controls well to this point, and haven't had any awful times that I couldn't handle. The game seems more, hmm, movie-esque, a lot of cutscreen shots. I've like the game, good fun and different controls have been enjoyable for me.

That being said, I couldn't play this game for an extended time (over an hour), the controls would get very annoying. I don't see a lot of long term playability, I think once the game wears off, it will be hard to pick up because you would have to get used to the controls all over again.

So, I say, RENT it for a nice diversion and some fun. The next generation game that elevates the PS3 status, this game is not.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

good info Alex
    definately could not handle a game with a useablility of less than an hour

tell me, if there was an option to use Analog control instead of Sixaxis control - would the game be playable for longer timeframes and would it be more enjoyable ?

5. Alex1939

Yeah to date I haven't played the game for a "hardcore" amount of time. Nothing like 3 or 4 hours (or longer) without a break... just about an hour at a time for a nice diversion.

The game would certainly be playable for a longer time using the analog controls.

Would it be more enjoyable? That's a tougher call, I initially wanted to say yes, but then I was thinking...
    Part of the challenge of this game is flying well, targeting your shots. At times, this can be enjoying and at certain times it can be.. "nit-picky". If you could fly using the analog, I'm thinking this game would be WAY too easy.

A similar style game, designed with analog controls, and difficulty designed for that would probably be a better long-term enjoyable game. Especially if there would be some multiplayer.

Just to give you an example of the game... the first mission teaches you how to fly, target practice at boats pretty much. From there you are attacking dragons in the sky, getting a hang of the flying and targeting and shooting. However, the next part teaches you how to grapple in mid-air with the dragons... which then puts you into a sort of... Mortal Kombat (your dragon on the left side of the screen, enemy on the right).... you aren't really flying anymore just hovering... all your controls are to attack with tail, with fire breath, with claws... that type of stuff.

Basically, the gameplay in lair changes a lot, to a degree it's a lot of minigames rolled into a bigger game.

This is definately a game worth checking out. I just don't think most people would think it was worth $60. Rent it, or buy it used would be my suggestion.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

did you buy it ?

7. Alex1939

Sorry didn't see this til now. Yes I did buy it. I got a couple friends I'll loan the game to when I'm through with it, told them not to buy it (more of sports multiplayer type gameplayers anyway). So the game will get it's use I suppose.

Been busy and haven't hit up any Lair lately, if I have any further updates on the game I'll let ya know.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/09/21/lair/index.html

9. Alex1939

"Virtually unplayable" is an extreme exaggeration.

This game is definately a niche game though, not for those that will frustrate easy. And as the review said, cinematically beautiful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar