Landing a Center in FA is key to BPA in the draft...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2004, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The center position is one of the deepest in UFA with a bunch of starters hitting the open market.

per Pro Football Focuses rankings (for what they are worth)

Chris Myers
    Scott Wells
    Jeff Saturday
    Todd McClure
    Matt Birk
    Nick Hardwick
    Dan Koppen
    Dan Connelly (Pats starter most of yr since Koppen went to IR)
    Samson Satele
    Casey Weigmann

If we pick up one of these guys then it allows us to move Amano back to OG where he played ok. I feel alright about having Amano, Harris and Velasco fight it out for the OG starting spots if we had to.

Then we can go BPA in the early rnds. If we don't get a center in FA then I think that we really will be forced to draft OG/C early or our OL will likely suck again.

I certainly am not against taking interior OL early because it is a strong draft for them and they have a low bust rate. But if we want to position ourselves for BPA this is the way to go.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm a fan of going after a center in FA. If not, I want Konz.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Birk is retiring. Myers and Scott are staying put. Saturday is too old.

The only two from that list that interest me are Hardwick and McClure. There's also Andre Gurode.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Yeah, I definitely agree with the idea (targeting a C in free agency), but it won't be easy. The list of viable options is way shorter than what you have posted.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I personally really like Wisconsin C Peter Konz, he's NFL ready, and would be a great guy to pair up with Locker for the next 10 years. But I do believe he's an underclassmen so I doubt our scouts have spent much time evaluating him. Ruston Webster says we don't scout juniors during the season.

But going off Munchak's statements, I don't think we get a center in the draft, not at 20 anyways.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I'm of the opposite opinion. I'd rather take one in the 2nd or 3rd round. I personally don't like Konz. I watched 2 games of his and he got beat a few more times than I'm comfortable with. I like Ben Jones from GA and he could possibly be there in the 3rd but wouldn't care if they took him in the 2nd.

My reasoning for not signing a FA is because young talented centers can be the anchor of your line for years. If we sign a guy who's been in the league a while he could end up retiring after 4-5 years and we'd be back where we were after Mawae retired. I like the idea of pairing a young center with our young QB Locker and them playing through their entire careers together.

7. JCBRAVE

I could be cool with waiting til round 2 for Amano's replacement assuming we get us a pass rusher at 20. DL and WR are deep, so at 20 we could get a very good player to rush the QB or catch passes. But we could also wait til round 3 for one of them guys.

But getting a free agent Center would open things up in the draft and let us go BPA.

8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Have you read some where that Wells and Myers are going to re-sign?

9. JCBRAVE

Myers is not leaving Houston. Some guys you just know will be back with their teams. Brees is a FA, does anyone think he'll leave New Orleans? No.

10. FLA Titans Fan

FLA Titans Fan The GM

Brewster Is looking good in the Seniorbowl practices so far. Maybe grab him in the second round

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar