Landscape has changed for Rob Turner

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jun 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

When the Titans signed offensive lineman Rob Turner on March 20, it looked as if he might have a decent shot at earning a starting position.

The Titans were looking to fill their vacant right guard spot and the 6-4, 308-pound Turner was coming off his best season as a pro, having started all 16 games for St. Louis in 2012.

The landscape here changed quite a bit, however, when the Titans drafted Chance Warmack with the 10th overall pick in the draft in April. Assuming the 6-2, 317-pound Warmack lives up to his potential, he’ll be the starting right guard this year.

The Titans have also added to the interior of the offensive line by drafting center Brian Schwenke and signing versatile veteran Chris Spencer (89 career starts).

But Turner doesn’t sound as if the increased offensive line depth is something that’s bothering him.

“Anywhere you go, you expect competition,” Turner said. “It’s not anything I didn’t expect coming in. Some guys don’t thrive in competition, but with any team, if you don’t have competition, guys get complacent. That’s across the board, across the league.

“If you’re not pushing yourself, you need somebody else pushing you. So I think it’s a positive thing.”

Turner has played some center in his career, so he could conceivably compete with Fernando Velasco and Schwenke for that starting spot. But he’s more likely to become a valuable reserve, one who spent the first five years of his career in a similar role with the New York Jets behind talented players like Alan Faneca, Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore.

“I was a role player and understood that. Guys got dinged up, but we never missed a beat when I had to play,” Turner said. “But even in that, there was competition. Every year, there was a guy trying to take my spot or I was fighting to break into the starting lineup, things of that nature.

“That’s why I say competition is something you expect. If you don’t expect that, you’re on your way out, no matter where you are.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I wouldn't mind being a backup guard and making the exact same amount of money as a player, either.

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Second string QB is the greatest job in the world. Stay prepared, treat it like a business, bank a couple of million a year and don't take the usual beating of an NFL player. Sign me up.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Can you throw though?

5. Fry

Better than Vince Young.

6. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

so just above rusty and below uncle rico ability wise?

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. Fry

I'm so glad someone made an Uncle Rico reference. That's exactly who I thought of when posting that.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Sorry bro, but thats not sayin much.

9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

50000 say you wrong

10. Fry

I knew one of the VY fanboys would take the bait.

:bliss:

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar