Languages

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I talk a little jive and some klingon.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Google for Klingons

3. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I speak spanish

Ill start easy

Como Te Llamas?

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Me llama Juan. Porque chupas, Senor Schwartz?

The Gloat brought up a good point: I learned some Spanish in HS, but most of it on the streets...what I found was that mexico City alone has over 37 known dialects, and that many Mexicans can't even understand each other. I was accused of using perfect Queen's Spanish...some of the trabajadors were impressed, but I couldn't talk with them.
    There's also the added twist of having some native language elements mixed in, such as Aztec.

I thought that when I moved to the Sandwich Isles*, I'd be done with the Spanish. But hey!...guess who conquered the Phillipines for about 300 years? :irked:

(*Captain Cook's term for the Hawaiian archepelego)

5. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Yea I learned about that this year, its like two cities right next to each other can have totally different stems of words, and most of the time are totally different, its crazy

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Here's some Fun Facts about the Hawaiian language:

--Don't let all the vowels fool you. Once you learn how to pronounce the five vowels, you quickly see that Hawaiian is actually spelled correctly and phonetically, unlike the English language from whence it takes it's 12 letters.

--But the words will mess you up. One spelling has different, unrelated meanings depending on where you put the inflection. I don't have my dictionary handy, but lono is not in any way related whatsoever to lono.

--The same problem happens with phrases: I ka'ua means "into battle"
    ika ua means something else entirely.
    i ka a'ua means yet something else
    ...but they all sound the same.

Okay, sing with me now!:
    http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/iz-themanandhismusic.html#henhenekouaka

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I'm sure she speaks a little english too.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

To all those Spanish speakers, how is it when it comes to the gender differences in words?

I am just about to begin Spanish lessons and I was curious if you had any difficulties with this part of it?

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, I know C(++|#)+, Java, Perl, VB and some German.... oh and when I was younger I tried learning Quenya but it never amounted to much.

Seriously, if you want to learn a language you should pick one you're actually going to use, otherwise you'll forget it really quick.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

what is Quenya?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar