Lavelle Hawkins

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I keep seeing people mention this guy. People talk about what a great group of receivers we would have if we matched up Owens/Holt/Housh, Washington, Gage and Hawkins. People talk about how we don't need Carr to return kicks because we have Hawkins.

Maybe I missed something. Has Hawkins shown for one second that he isn't going to be the next Roby/Roydell/P.Williams/Chris Davis/Brandon Jones/etc.?

I am not being sarcastic. I honestly can't really remember anything that Hawkins has done (which is probably not a good thing). I am hoping someone can refresh my memory. I know it's early in his career, but what makes people think Hawkins has any potential at all?

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

He made a handful of catches last year, including a couple of impressive sideline, toe tappers to stay inbounds. And caught a 50-yard preseason bomb. Really though I'm with ya, don't know how anyone has any expectations for this dude. He's shown potential, but thats about it. I would like to see more of him tho, he can't be worse then some of the dudes that have previously wore Titans jerseys

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Mostly his production in college, but he had a few moments on the field last year. You're right, though - all those other guys had their moments, too. He seemed to run crisp routes and had good hands, so some of us (including me) probably got a little overly excited about him. Doesn't seem to be doing the right things in practice to get Dinger to trust him on Sundays, though.

His most memorable moment was his 2nd catch in preseason - 51 yd TD. But it was against the Raiders and it was preseason. We're a hopeful bunch, aren't we? A little like Charlie Brown kicking the FG... Titans keep bringing in young WRs, and we keep believing this one will be different.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

He was a rookie, and he has shown promise in limited time?

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

well, Chris Davis' rookie year the only thing I remember is him fumbling that ball vs Indianapolis in Week 2, and hes still on the team. So the fact that we can't remember anything about Hawkins could mean hes due for a probowl year.

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

He was De Sean Jacksons receiving partner at Cal in 06 & 07 and put up good numbers.

• 2007: 72 rec, 872 yds, 6 TD; 42 KR 922 yds 22 yd av 1TD
    • 2006: 46 rec, 705 yds, 4 TD

He finished last season as a special teams starter and had 7 catches for 68 yards.

Nothing special there but all of those catches came in the 6 game stratch when McCareins was out.Hawkins started to fit in well behind Gage,Jones and Scaife.

He also had 2 catches for 70 yardfs and a TD against Oakland in pre season.

Considering that our rookie WR don't usually even dress on game day Hakins must have impressed our staff.He has more upside than any of the scrub WR's we've drafted since Mason.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfnP7caTCtU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfnP7caTCtU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I got to see a few practices last summer and I thought the kid looked real good. Nice hands and body control and runs good routes. Basically the opposite of what I saw with Paul Williams. The knock on him during the season was he was still learning the offense and needed to mature some. He also had some ankle problems that slowed his progress. He did look very good on a few receptions he had during the season.

IMO the pure ability is there and I'm not talking about a combine freak but a guy who might be similar to Eddie Royal of the Broncos. He is a guy who can make defensive back look silly with double moves and he catches the ball well with his hands. He was projected to go in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of the draft and was a steal in the 4th. If I remember right he made guys look ridiculous in the Senior Bowl practices.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think the main reason that most people keep bringing him up is the HOPE that we've hit on something, whether or not there's a whole lot behind that hope.

We certainly don't know yet how he'll turn out. But he's shown us more than Paul Williams, and man we're hoping he's better.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar