Law and HR help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by maximus, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

Maybe some you HR and law people can help me with a project. Some of you might know that david lipscomb hires only Christians and hooters hires only girls to be waiters
    Is this legal?
    Is there a prescendent to do so?
    What laws are being used?

*This is not meant for a chance to talk politics or religon :)

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

http://gcaa.collegiategolf.com/files/gcaa/MPC2004_hooters_iframe.html

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Yes its legal, and I dont know under what ruling or what specific law by any means, but basically hooters girls were determined to be entertainers, not waitresses, and because of that discrimination is allowed because if they were men, they would not be able to perform their job of "entertaining" in this specific setting.

And Lipscomb is private and doesnt receive state dollars which is why they are allowed to be a christian school in the first place. And secondly, because they are a christian school, it would make sense for them to only hire christians, or actually I believe they only hire Church of Christ.

4. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I used to work for a faith based company who only hired people of the company's denomination. It is legal because as a faith based organization, would a Catholic church have to hire a Baptist minister to lead a congregation? Nope. Same goes for their non-profit businesses.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Basically, discrimination is legal if it is essential for the job.

6. The Mrs

No, it's not discrimination. Every church has it's own organizations and non-profit businesses. Most of them do hire people outside of their faith for non-essential jobs. However, if you are Baptist, why would you want to work for a Catholic organization in a high profile position? Why would a Catholic organization hire someone outside their faith in a high profile position? The whole point of being a member of a church is first, to worship and then to promote your particular faith. Also, those faith based businesses are funded directly from the church's coffers, which come from the offering plate out of member's pockets.

The faith based company that I used to work for received money from each and every church of that faith. It was very organized and each church sent money to their particular district office. Each district office sent the monies from their district as a whole to their particular conference office. The conferences then divided the money and sent a portion on to a national office to fund the particular church "businesses".

Sidenote, I'm neither Catholic or Baptist, but those religions are very different with very definite worship practices, that's why I'm using them as examples.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I wasnt just talking about Churches. I was just speaking in general terms. There are some jobs, like a faith based organization that needs people that know the specific faith, or Hooters who generate business based on their girls, where discrimination is allowed. Hooters wouldnt work with guy waiters, and a baptist organization wouldnt work if ran by a catholic.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Unless they come up with a sister company called 'Peckers' which starts by opening up a few branches in San Fransisco and philli.. :grrhee:

9. The Mrs

Or "Booters" and the guys wear Speedos. Ick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar