Lawrence of Arabia.....

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by RollTide, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

James Cameron already did it. Avatar.

Seriously there is something romantic about a garden variety white man from the USA or UK immersing himself into a totally foreign culture. Not foreign to Lawrence but to almost every other Brit.

Lawrence while in college did a 3 month 1000 mile walking tour of Syria. Then after graduation he did a 4 year stint at the archeological dig Carchemish, in northern Syria as an Oxford graduate student.

He spoke several languages, he was fluent in Arabic and read classic Greek literature in the original Greek.

Whatever his motivation, his illegitimacy or his diminutive height he lived a life that most of us dream of living.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Sounds fascinating. Might have to check it out.

3. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

No female speaking roles in Lawrence of Arabia. But, rest assured, if hollywood did make a remake they would put one in. They did with the remake of Flight of the Phoenix a few years back. Remakes suck the big one. Sad thing is that the young today usually have no idea when something is a remake, and even if they do they believe that "new is better".

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I love Giovanni Ribisi in that film(Flight of the Phoenix) and like almost everything he does. He might be a good choice for the 2012 version of Lawrence.

Dennis Quaid vs James Stewart? My gawd what a contrast. Talk about a whole different league.

I can't see a real remake of LOA it would cost too much. 15,000 camels and horses were used in that thing.

Anthony Quinn played more different ethnic characters than any actor in the history of film. He played Arabs, Greeks, Latinos and even a Filipino in "back to Battan! What an amazing career he had.

One way that the film actually surpasses real history is the character of Arthur Kennedy one of my favorite actors. His Jackson Bentley character has a more significant role in the film that Lowell Thomas had in the real story. Thomas was only with Lawrence and the Arab army for about a week on the front.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Maybe instead of starting a LOA thread i should have broadened it to the David Lean thread. Lean the greatest director of epic films.

Bridge on the river Kwai-7 Oscars

Lawrence of Arabia-7 Oscars

Dr Zhivago-5 Oscars

Passage to India-2 Oscars

4 epic films, 19 Oscars makes Lean among the elite directors of all time. And while not nearly as prolific as Ford or Hitch his films were masterpieces.

6. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Yeah, we took over the role from the Western Europeans after WWII.

I have always enjoyed learning history, but admittedly I am a bit weak when it comes to Middle Eastern History.

Thanks for the lesson here. I will look for this movie when on vacation later this year.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

And the remake would feature one horse, one camel and and whole helluva lot of CGI..
    But you're right, it will never be remade, not because of cost, but because of Hollywood's decades-long campaign to dumb down the movie going public.

If there's no chance of wire-fu there's no chance of a remake..

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Martin Scorsese and Stephen Spielberg were a part of the remastering of this film and both believe that it is one of the best films ever made. Spielberg thinks that a remake would cost at least $280M and would be very difficult with political correctness and animal rights people today.

He did state clearly that the use of digital reproduction that is used today would ruin a picture like that because people do notice it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3bqRemW8U

Logistics aside how can anybody duplicate a masterpiece of art?

9. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Roll, thanks for that. I may use it with my classroom. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar