Left Brain or Right Brain?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I thought so at first as well, but remember this is a still a pure 2D image (no depth information whatsoever), anything that seems 3D is your imagination.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

It means you're going to make a psychiatrist very wealthy... :))

3. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Funny guy:grrhee:

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

2D will clearly distinguish left from right. Watch her head tilt to her left shoulder with her left leg extended.

It changes direction when the legs and head/shoulder are aligned toward the camera so you can't see the change of direction.

Addendum: My daughter and I watched simultaneously and thought it was spinning in different directions. So much for my theory :)

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Riverman

Alright. Got it figured out now. The optic tract from the retina to the brain is diagrammed as below:

[​IMG]

Therefore when the image is in the left field (or to the right of the observer) it goes to the left brain which establishes tracking and translation of the 2D image into a 3D perception in your brain. (And vice versa)

Watch the figure rotate, then read the text to the right while keeping the figure in your peripheral vision, then look back at the figure. If it didn't change-repeat but look at the text to the left.

6. Riverman

I can make it go either direction on command now by simply reading the column on the left and moving my eyes (not my head) to the figure. That makes it go counter clock-wise. To get it clockwise- I read the column on the right then move my eyes to the figure.

Pretty cool.

7. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I saw counterclockwise, then when I started thinking about which way is clockwise, she changed on me. Everytime I thought about something really hard, she'd change directions on me. It was vexing.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Pull up the original page here: Spinning Girl A
    and open up this page in a new window:
    Spinning Girl B
    There's 2 versions here. The top one is altered so you'll see her spinning clockwise and the bottom is altered to spin counter clockwise.
    Look at the top one then click the window to the original test and you automatically see her spin clockwise. If you then look at the bottom image quickly view the original and it's now spinning counter clockwise..

This proves it's not a changing image..:smile:

9. Riverman

yeah- my daughter and I saw in opposite directions at the same time which immediately disproved my initial hypothesis.

I believe is has to do more with how your brain extrapolates 2 dimensional information into a 3-dimensional perception. The perceived rotation depends on which particular (left or right) visual fields are stimulated as to track on to the object. The image will be assigned to your the left side or right side of your brain.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

too easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar