Leinart struggling

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i dont think anyone is thinking about scenario number three.

scenario number one is vince is good and leinart sucks. number two is leinart is good and vince sucks. the third is they are both good.

recent history says it's very possible.

2004: eli manning, philip rivers and ben roethlisberger
    2003: carson palmer, byron leftwhich and rex grossman

i think everyone sees ryan leaf and peyton manning and thinks that's the way it is everytime. when, in fact, that is the extreme. one of the best ever and one of the worst ever. everyone thinks if the first one is picked over the other, one will be great and one will suck.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I still think Leinart is a pretty sure thing as far as not being a bust. He may not be Manning but he can easily be as good as Big Ben or Pennington (who by the way has a 92 life time QB rating). I also thought that Cutler was a sure thing to not be a bust and with his arm strength had an even better chance than Leinart at being real special. With VY it is more about him being average or better as a passer to go with his unique running ability. Thats where the risk comes in although I do think VY will be productive I'm still not sure how successfull. Put Leinart on a team with a good OL, defense and running game ala big Ben and he is successfull today. Not sure if that is the case yet for VY.

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

fair has noting to do with it, young has never got respect for his ability as a passer. Even if he were to toss for 400+ against the #1 defense in the NFL it won't change anyone's mind. He will forever be a black athlete playing QB.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

C'mon, let's not toss out the racism card here.

Young hasn't gotten the credit for being a passer because, to most only familiar with a few of his highlight games, his running ability overshadows it. Also, add in some untraditional mechanics and you'll have doubters.

And, let's be honest, he's not proven it so far at the pro level.

Once he consistently shows he can be an accurate passer, I think you'll see perceptions change as they have for many other black QBs.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think it is race related. The stats prove it.

Vince's career passing completion percentage is the best in UT history at 62%. See Matt Leinarts career 64% as a comparison. Not much difference.

Young set the UT single-game pass completion percentage record against Oklahoma State in 2004 by completing 18 of 21 passes (85.7%). He broke his own record by completing 25 of 29 passes (86.2%) against Colorado in 2005.

n the 2006 NCAA national championship game, he completed 30 of 40 passes for 267 yards

I mean what more does he have to prove. He was not only accurate for his whole career, he was at his best in the biggest game of all time.

What made him an inaccurate qb again?

Frankly, it's a joke. He was ready and accurate from the get go. He is an accurate passer. I do think it was race related, and it always has been. The same thing happened to McNabb. McNabb was top 5 in the ncaa in passing efficiency 2 straight years. Yet he got the same label. And he's been throwing to nobody for what 7 years, yet the numbers are all there.

There is little doubt in my mind that is race related.

I would like to believe it's not, but I think the stats prove otherwise.

6. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

The problem is history is hard to overcome. The stats show VY was very accurate in college yet he is labeled a runner. Why?? Because he can run.

Unfortunately some people refuse to see it. I posted a while ago maybe on another site that until people immediately correct incorrect behavior it will continue. And that is why race will always play a card.

I will say that not everyone is racist and it isn't fair to them. But unfortunately there are those who are. So, how do you change the way people think?(or traditionally have thought)

Correct them and prove them wrong.

7. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

white qbs who were runners like steve young or fran Tarkington were never labeled as runners, but almost every black QB is considered a athlete first.

Vince has improved as a passer every year since he first got to college, the simple fact is that he is still no where close to reaching his peak as either an athlete or a QB.

8. zackmann

zackmann Guest

i think the effect that race has on quarterback perception is a real issue....

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. But I think that topic should be discussed in another forum as it usually ends badly when discussed here.

10. zackmann

zackmann Guest

i don't disagree....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar