Lend me your ears

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by avvie, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I'm getting down to the wire on the move, and I need to finish some projects. response is slow at my other forums, so I'm asking you to help out here.

I have retracked a song called "What's The Story?" that is posted here. Click "hifi"...clicking "mp3" is a downloader, and might ask you to register (not sure). I'd like your opinions on the sound/mix.

The biggest issue is the clean rhythm guitar strumming during the verses. I really want that part there, but I can't tell if it's cluttered, irritating or needs to be booted altogether. Since I wrote it and it's stuck in my head, I can't be objective about it.

Remember, it's not about whther or not you like the song...it's sortof adult contemporary/alternative, and some of you won't like it. But I'd like to know if it sounds okay in your systems.

Thanks!
    AV

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's ok
    the verse would sound mighty empty without it
    all i would do would be to change the effect on it

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Nice song. The mix has kind of a Steely Dan feel to it, kind of jazzy and really smooth. And I agree with Puck. I think they have to be in there, but maybe with a different effect. They sound a little mushy. Maybe try something a bit harsher, let the natural amp sound breathe a bit more. They sound sterile as is. Not sure if that would work and you might have to jack the vocals a little bit when you try it, but it would be interesting to hear how it sounds.

4. avvie

Hmm, overdrive...could be good...
    Brian plays that part in distortion after the lead break...I stole it from him...he plays that all the way through the song, but that sound was waaay too much for it. But mild overdrive...hmmm...
    I'll experiment with that...I forget I have that plug.

5. Broken Record

If it works, let us hear. If it sounds like crap, just pretend I never mentioned it :ha:

6. Broken Record

Oh, and the sound I had in mind was something like an Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal about half way up or less. Generic 70s classic rock crunch.

7. avvie

BR, I just did a remix...got rid of the obnoxious booming at 120-250HZ..jeez, didn't realise how bad it was. The bottom is still a little thick, but much rounder and cleaner than it was.
    I followed your suggestion and added some overdrive to that guitar...it's not much---doesn't scream or anything---just enough to take that Andy Summers clang out of it. After this long, you may not even notice it.
    A lot of EQ tweaks to bring out the leads and tame the drums.
    One thing I've noticed: that Soundclick player hammers the mixes with distortion and overcompression. I gotta find me a file hoster.
    Check it out again and see what you think.

8. Broken Record

I'm liking it much better. Even with these $20 harman/kardon speakers on my computer at work. I'll give it a listen tonight on better speakers and let you know. I think you've about nailed it, though.

9. Broken Record

Ok. I've had a better chance to listen with different speakers now. I love what you've done with the guitar part. You're right, it's subtle, but it makes a lot of difference.

This may just be a personal preference, but the vocals seem to stand out too much now. Did you pump them up in the mix? They seem louder than before and don't seem to mesh as well. Now keep in mind, I've heard songs before that I absolutely loved only to hear the musicians 20 years later say, "that was an awful mix, the guitars were too loud and you could barely make out the vocals." So I may not be the best judge on guitar/vocal relation.

10. avvie

Man, I'm with you on that...but you wouldn not believe how complaints I get about vocals not being "out front" enough. I don't get it...I can hear them fine. They are a little stronger here, but it's because everyone insisted that they were too weak before. Some examples:

"Donny singing his butt of on this, I just not hearinging it."

"I'm wondering if maybe the vocals are just a bit too compressed? If so mayber back off on the threshold a bit to give back some dynamics. I think Donny is singing more agressively than it sounds like he is in the mix."

"I feel there's a fight as to who's leading the parade. For me, it's no contest -- the vocals are being performed with a gusto that isn't beginning to come across in the mix."

I'm hoping that now I'll hear the same complaint that you have. But OTOH, mixing vocs is a very difficult task: the range and dynamics trip you up hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar