Let's give Verner his props

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Verner played great he is a baller. I really do not understand not having Verner in the nickel slot and campbell not being on the field. I just do not see it with mouton.

2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

ATV

Check the history of my posts, I've said this too many times. ATV is our best CB, and obviously right now our best DB.

Coverage, Tackling, Run Support, Playmaking (Breaking up imporant passes, Interception, FF, TD).... are you kidding me he was the total package against the Lions - he shoulda won us the game with that End-Zone INT too....

So many times have people said J-Mac is better and he gets the recognition (b/c of that contract), but again as i've said time and time again (agreeing with the likes of DW JCBRAVE , etc..), from their respective sample sizes, ATV has almost always shown more. He's a guy you lock up for 5 years or maybe even that illustrious 7, based on his excellent character.

I don't think he deserves top tier CB money (at least not yet), but he is definitely in that 2nd tier category (i.e. same as J-Mac, but closer to the top of that tier for sure). I think we lock him up this year, or at least we definitely should...

---
    Mouton vs Campbell

( LANGSTER ) I commented on this earlier. Its interesting that during the camp and preseason all we could hear about was Tommie on the outside on 3-WR sets. We also read multiple articles about ATV excelling in his old role in the slot (Finny's Ex-Position) - which I'm sure he did, again back to his tackling, run support, and playmaking abilities.

Its gotta be something with regards to Tommie's coverage skills and/or fundamentals. I imagine that he is still very raw and needs more practice. Everyone knows he's got the physical part, but there is so much more then that.

I mean already during the past 3 weeks our DBs at times have looked completely lost as it is. Also, how would a young and raw talent be doing with absolutely zero safety help...

Another important point is tackling. Sure he can tackle on Special Teams... but tackling a playmaking wide receiver on the outside is totally different. You miss that tackle and a receiver can easily streak up the sidelines for very healthy gains, again especially with safeties a billion yards away.

I hope they havnt given up on him and it seems he has cleaned up with respect to those outbursts he had last year (so far) and that I'm happy with. He's a 'feel good story' that i really want to see pan out. I hope he still getting his chances to play CB in practice, because so far I havn't seen enough out of Ryan to make me believe he's the right man for the slot.

Sidenote - If Tommie was our 3rd CB, I would send him on a blitz once a game from the outside... I don't know why, but I see really good things from that...

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I also tend to think Tommie would do well blitzing. He's always near the ball on kickoffs and punts, so he's got that ability to zone in on a target and hit them.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Does anyone else feel like Verner is a younger Ronde Barber?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar