Lets make a splash in free agency

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by edward nigma, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

3.9 times...oh wait that's his ypc.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

People who say CJ is a difference maker are talking about for the other team.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I think Griff is unlikely to be cut but I honestly think Fitz could be gone. The reason I think that is because the whole idea was for our offense to rely heavy on the run. In that scenario, you're fine with a guy like Fitz as your backup. He can be a "game manager" in a spot. However, we've pretty much proven by this point that that whole "Run-heavy" philosophy simply isn't working out for us. And on top of that, Locker has pretty much proven that he can't stay healthy for a full season. So we need a higher quality #2. We need to make every attempt to bring in someone who can legitimately push Locker for the starting job. Whether that's through free agency or the draft I don't know, or care. But if we go into next season with Locker/Fitz as 1/2 then I think we're in trouble again.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Giving huge free agent contracts out has never proven to be the way to win Super Bowl. Getting great players at bargain deals has.

Hardy is a great player, but he'll be overpaid.

We all saw how damaging it can be to overpay mediocre players. The Titans are stuck with guys like Griffin, Levitre and Greene getting big money for next to no production.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It is hard to justify any of those 3 contracts, but we desperately needed a good Guard and power RB last year. Even when Griffin re-signed he was at the time the best FS option for us.

I dont hate Webster for any of those contracts, he's doing his job filling positions with the best players he can find.

If we're doing anything right, it's adding talent, I dont mind how much they spend so long as we're getting better.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

That's not a very practical opinion to have in a league with a hard salary cap.

7. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

How many times has anybody on this team put the team on their back and carries us to the playoffs?

8. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Trim the fat off our books
    Sign Jared Allen (I think he will get a contract similar to the one Mathis got from Indy which is doable)
    Draft Stewert's and Johnson's replacements in April [/offseason]

9. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

With CJ2K, Wimbley, Stewart, Stevens, & Fitz cut we'd have $29,857,952 in cap room

Pollard will get probably $2.5 mil
    Verner will get probably $8 mil
    Pito will get probably $2 mil

That's $16.5 mil, nearly $4 mil for rookie contracts... and we have $12.5 mil to spend.

We can always backload Verners contract to save cap space. Or, restructure contracts of Griffin, McCourty, or Washington.

Use this website:
    http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Titans

10. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

If you cut Wimbley after June 1 you can backload his hit a little bit. Also it would make sense to push Verner's cap number back to 2014 when we have 63 million according to OTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar